ACK!

graybrick

I just paid for a 'used once' EF 70-200 f/2.8, $999 off fleaBay... now I'm

having that post-purchase anxiety. Tell me I did the right thing, that I can

sell this for as much as I paid if necessary, and how happy this purchase will

make me. Thanks.

I don't know about that sell for as much as you paid thing. I can't figure out why you would

want to sell it again at all. If it doesn't make you happy I am sure that there are plenty of

people here that will assist you in ridding yourself of it. It is one of the most highly lusted

after lenses that Canon ever made. I know Nikon people who wish that they could mount it

on their bodies.

I never considered the IS version, as the 2.8 was a stretch on my budget already. The f/4 seems too slow, even with IS IMO. I've lusted for this lens for a couple years, since I tried one out for a few frames. Thanks for the vote of no confidence, Bob, you're always good for a reality check. Perhaps you could send along one of the test models people loan you?

I've had the non IS version for years, and have never regretted buying. I think the price is a

little stiff for the non IS, but it's still a great lens regardless. Just enjoy it. I will be selling mine

soon, and only hope to get $999 out of it. I was thinking more like $750.

GM,

I'm sure everyone here is very concerned about your happiness, I know I am, but I have to believe it would have been better to assess your happiness potential about this before dropping a thousand bucks for the lens. If you wanted a 70-200 and you couldn't afford the 2.8IS and the f/4's are too slow for you, looks to me like you made the one and only choice that has the greatest possibility of ensuring your happiness.

So, like the song says, "Don't worry ..."

Just pulling your chain Grayson!

If you're the sort of person who is inclined to be happy (glass half full), you'll be happy. If you're one of those (and we certainly have our share here) who is rarely if ever, happy with what they have (glass half empty), you won't be happy.

We have photo.net members who change their cameras and lenses more frequently than some people change their socks. Whatever they have they think there is something which will be better.

The 70-200/2.8 is a very good lens, but if you're a worrier you'll always wonder if you wouldn't have been better off with the 70-200/4L IS or the 70-200/2.8L is. Would IS have been more helpful than that extra stop? You'll never know and that keeps some people up at night.

There's also no answer to the question. There is no "Best lens for everyone". Even if you owned every lens that Canon makes, you'd still have to pick which one to take with you unless you can afford to hire an assistant with an electric cart to haul them around after you.

The worst part of buying a new lens for the worriers is when they start taking test shots and pixel peeping. Then they start to worry not about whether they have the best possible lens, but about whether their lens is as sharp as it should be, whether it front or back focuses, if the chromatic aberration in the corners is more than it should be and what that little rattle is when they shake it violently.

It never ends.

Grayon,

First of all, congratulations on the lens purchase. You will be happy. I shot for a couple years with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and loved the versatility of the length and aperture. I did upgrade to the Canon 2.8 IS recently and have no regrets. It is wonderful. But at the same time I can't keep wondering if I would have been better off with the f/4 IS or f/2.8 non-IS AND the Canon 10-22mm?

Nope, I'm happy as a clam. Spend some time learning how to hold that lens and the 2.8 will help you get those precious shots!

Enjoy!

<i>

<b>Grayson McBrickwater</b><br>

Tell me I did the right thing, that I can sell this for as much as I paid if necessary, and how happy this purchase will make me.

<br><br>

<b>Bob Atkins</b><br>

No. you won't be happy. You'll forever wish you spent the extra money and got the IS version...

<br><br>

<b>John MacPherson</b><br>

And also forever wish you asked here for a satisfaction forecast BEFORE you purchased......

</i>

<br><br>

I just love this forum xD

If you use lens to take sports pictures then IS is 'useless' anyway because you need short shutter speeds and it's "only" 200mm. On the other hand IS would be usefull on concerts/in theatre etc. If you take pictures with monopod and longer shutter speeds. If I took sports pictures at shutter speeds of about 1/1000 to 1/2000 I wouldn't even turn it on. BTW - that's huge and heavy lens, good muscles will be better than any IS. Go to gym :P

Grayson - you've taken the ribbing most graciously! The lens is super sharp and has a satisfyingly heavy feel. It will take great pictures. You will be very pleased with it. Thats my REAL happiness forecast, and for you, it's free. Enjoy, my friend!

James: "And if you are still unsure about whether the glass is half full or half empty, why not just switch to a smaller glass? :P"

Here in Scotland the process is: Fill the glass, drink half. Instant regret that half is missing. Drink remaining half to feel better. Feel better. Simple!

John MacPherson opined:

Here in Scotland the process is: Fill the glass, drink half. Instant regret that half is missing. Drink remaining half to feel better. Feel better. Simple!

Now that is what I call true optimist!

-- V