What's better: Old Nikon build quality, or new Nikon technology?

crowdspotting

I tried working with a DSLR but couldn't get over the nasty, creaky feel of cheap plastic. I use a couple of F3HP bodies along with an FM2N all of which are beautifully engineered machines designed to last a lifetime-not spat out of a mould with instant obsolescence.

That the F3 in all its incarnations was in production for 20 years speaks for itself.

Lex, the models you mention are not Nikon's finest thus are not fair examples; the cameras I specified most certainly are. My 1983 F3HP is still working flawlessly after 25 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoever has responded saying that the newer bodies are the way to go Obviously hasnt Used a nikon FM2 or F3 or as Jeff uses and

F4.

The Old quality is far far far supierior to the new technology.

The Old AIS lenses are better lenses than the new AF ones. Their built better their sharper Lighter and have only a 52mm circumfrence.

The Older Nikon bodies from 20 years ago will outlast any DSLR on the market. Too much technology in a body means theres more to

go wrong If its a travel compact camera your after The FM2 would be my choice over any new 35mm camera.

luke.