SX-70 - Why do people still buy them?

Well, until recently there was still some SX-70 (Blend) film for sale, that's gone now. You can still buy type 600 film, which is usable if you put a ND filter on the lens. There's a lot of 600 around since it fuels all the 600 models that are in circulation, but that will dry up in due course, Polaroid may have already stopped production. Forget trying to do fancy tricks with 600, it just makes images.

Maybe people are buying the cameras because they're interesting collectors pieces. I have two and I think they look great, don't use them for anything now even though I still have a little film left.

Also, the emulsion inside the SX70 is a lot softer than that inside the 600, and for the first few minutes after the picture has appeared, you can use something like a biro or a screwdriver to squidge the emulsion round a bit, creating different lines and textures on the picture. A lot of people use it to create a sort of textured halo around objects photographed in front of a plain background. The streaks created look a lot like light on a photo.

At this point I think they are almost shelf queens. The unique properties of SX-70 film died with the discontinuation of the film... although occasionally you can find out-of-date packs on ebay... no guarantee of how good or bad they will be, even if refrigerated. The SX-70 Blend film is the 600 film emulsion repackaged with an ND filter built-in to adjust for the metering differences in the cameras. It is possible to do some manipulations to 600 prints, but they mostly just look like scratches, not the gelatinous blending possible with the old stuff. You might try searching polanoid.net or flickr for SX-70 manipulations and see what people are up to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
<p>Late addition to the thread. I shot my last pack of SX-70 Blend and boo-hooed for a minute, then realized I could, with some assiduousness, carefully peel away the ND filter that was across the top of the Blend pack and slip it onto a pack of 600. Better than putting an ND filter on the lens, because you don't have to re-jigger the metering thingie on the front, and, this being an SLR, your view is still bright, because you're not looking through the filter.</p>

Probably the largest number of buyers are collectors. The folding SX-70 SLRs were at the high end of Polaroid's consumer models and I would guess there were not as many of them made as the lower priced solid body cameras. The original selling price, number of cameras made and number remaining are some of the factors that determine how desirable particular cameras are to collectors.

Another factor which makes certain cameras desirable is how unique and clever the technology is within them. A folding SLR would be a cool thing no matter what format it is and whether film is still available for it.

The SX-70 is also a nice looking camera both open and closed.

The components within the SX-70 are also very desirable to people creating home-made camera, photo equipment and other optical equipment. A large front surface mirror can be very handy in any number of optical creations and even at $20-30 at the flea market may be well worth the price.

<p>You can still get Time Zero manipulable film for the SX-70 (fresh even).  It's pricey at around $30 for an 8 exposure pack though.  Once the last batch is sold out that's probably it for SX-70 film unless somebody else picks up the manufacturing (unlikely at this point, it's apparently complicated, expensive, and almost entirely by hand).   I bought an SX-70 for $7 at a local junktique shop just because I love the design.  I've tried to avoid acquiring "shelf cameras" but I'm making an exception for the SX-70. </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>there is something special that you can do with the sx-70 - you can get the look that only it can provide.</p>

<p>i strongly believe that the polaroid sx-70 is something special - i think every film photographer should try one out.</p>

<p>it's not just about the sx-70 film, it's about the soft focus and DOF and color replication on any film including the 600 film.</p>

<p>i actually just finished a little blog on buying your first sx-70. if you're reading this thread and want more info on the camera have a look:</p>

<p><a href="http://nosocksorsockettes.blogspot.com/2009/12/so-you-want-to-buy-polaroid-sx-70.html">http://nosocksorsockettes.blogspot.com/2009/12/so-you-want-to-buy-polaroid-sx-70.html</a></p>

• Like 1