Everyday lens ?

cindy_stephenson

Probably the 17-85. You won't need much longer than 85mm to capture even closeups of people in most situations (I'm assuming you have an APS-C size DSLR). The 28-135 won't go wide enough for a lot of group situations

But, you have to decide. If you're doing almost exclusively single person shots and candids from a distance, the 28-135 might be better.

<p>The 28-135 is rather a good lens, so if you're looking for a normal-to-tele zoom, it's well worth considering. Or if you were looking for a general-purpose lens for a film body; after all, that's what the 28-135 was intended to be when it was introduced. But if your idea of everyday includes anything on the wide side, the 28-135 won't do the job on your 1.6-crop body.</p>

<p><i>"I already have the 17-85 as well as a 70-200. Just wondering if it would benefit me to add the 28-135 to my team?"</i></p>

<p>I wonder why you would need the 28-135 if you have 17-200 covered already - perhaps your 70-200 is a non-IS version. In that case, wouldn't something like the 55-250 IS be a better choice than the 28-135?</p>

I'm quite happy with the 17 - 85 IS. It has decent reach so distance can be kept to a large degree. The short end isn't as bad as many thing and can be cleaned up in processing. You'd lose that if you went to the longer zoom you are considering. I have longer Tamron zooms from my film days that perform well, but I don't like changing lenses often, so the 17 - 85 is a nice compromise for me and is used 90% of the time. I do a lot of outdoor stuff and much of that is in the wind off the ocean so changing lenses would get dirt and dust where it is not my friend.

<cite>I was just curious between a 17-85 vs a 28-135 which would be a better all around everyday shooting lens as my 70-200 is a little heavier.</cite>

<p>You already have this range covered, so you're in the best position to answer this question. What focal lengths do you use most often? How often do you use the wide end of the 17-85 vs. how often do you find yourself wishing it went longer?</p>

I would like to second the idea of using a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, your choice. They're both light weight and pretty darn sharp. You also have the advantage of being able to shoot bats in a cave when used wide open. That being said, I would lean towards the 17-85mm.