Sensor cleaning..

andre_stull

I'm a little skeptical about this thing, perhaps my concerns are unjustified, but here's what I think of it.

If the device is generating both positive and negative ions, and blowing them all into the same space, wouldn't the ions just neutralize each other?

Also, what if the dust particles are physically stuck and not just bonded by electrostatic charge? This device would be rather ineffective then.

The sensor is an ESD sensitive device, I would think twice about putting something with a charge into the body of my camera.

Lastly, the language of the web page is not indicative of professionalism. The word "Stuff" is used quite a bit....nothing serious really. :P

Anyway, I'm just expressing my concerns. It's probably a very good product, but I wouldn't want to be the first one testing it out.

Blower bulbs (the big Rocket blower) have never been able to clean dust from my 20D's sensor. It seems to be electrostatically held tight. I bought an expensive sensor cleaning kit that was based on a liquid cleaner thinking that would do the trick, but I found I was merely moving the particles from one side of the sensor to the other. After many attempts I got it so that it is tolerable.

Anyone use the arctic butterfly kit? In this case the brush get charged up, not the camera. My next camera will be one that self cleans. This procedure is for the birds.

David, you should be able to clean the sensor quite simply just using a blower brush unless you have some sticky particles on the sensor. If you are having electostatic problems just make sure you and the camera are both well earthed before you do the cleaning to get rid of any static charge. A touch on a metal water pipe is a good way to earth oneself and the camera.