Diopter Correction Lens for Leica M3

With my eyesight not getting better over the years, I am considering to exchange

the stock diopter of my M3 with a Leica +1.0 Diopter Correction Lens (# 14351).

However, I am not sure if I can perform the exchange myself or if I need a

camera mechanic for that. Any experiences? How would I have to proceed?

As for the optical strength, I am relying on the advice of my optometrist, who

is an experienced photographer himself.

Christian,

You should be able to unscrew the stock diopter without any special tools. When I bought

one, I brought my M3 to the store and tried a couple out until I found the one that was

the clearest.

Be warned that supposedly the M3 does not have the standard correction of -.5 that

other Leicas do. I, however, didn't really see a difference and bought as if it did.

Cheers,

Seth

The Leica diopters do not replace the standard eyepiece, they screw into it. They are pretty close to what they say they are, but you should go into a Leica Dealer and try the one you think you need and the one above and below before purchasing. Can't do that, purchase online from a store like B&H with a no questions asked return policy.

Do you need bifocals or eyeglasses that have continous different diopters from top of the

glass to the bottom?

Do your glasses have astigmatic correction?

If one or two answers are "yes", then a simple diopter correction will only partially solve

your problem. To what extent it solves it depends on the degree of bifocals and astigmatic

correction needed.

You may want to google for megaperls and some relevant words like diopter, viewfinder

etc