Nikon 50 MM F/1.8D or F/1.4D ?

neo_fragoso

There is a good comparison, that agrees with my experiences, here: http://www.utopia-photography.ch/lenses/50mm/test15.html .

I currently own the f/1.4 and have used the f/1.8 extensively in the past. I found the 1.4 to be sharper at wider apertures and the 1.8 to sharper at narrower apertures. You should decide if this is a lens for you daily use or if this is a low-light less for those special purposes.

I also found the 1.4 has a little bit less contrast and colour saturation that is noticeable only on careful inspection and repeated use. Plus, it is easily "corrected"/changed in processing.

$200 is a huge difference. I'm happy with my 50mm 1.8, and I found it quite sharp even wide open. The difference betwen 1.4 and 1.8 isn't big, the price difference is... And how many times do you need to shoot at 1.4 ? Of couse if money isn't a problem go for the 1.4

I used the 50/1.4 for years for available light shots of my kids around the house. Mainly B&W. I used 1.4 quite a bit. Even at 1.8/2.0 it's going to perform better because you're not shooting wide open.

In the digital age you probably don't need it with all the high ISO capabllity of modern bodies.

I should've said this before because it might make a difference or not... I have a 18mm-50 f/3.5-5.6. Do you think that having this lens already it is a good thing buying the 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8? or it would not be a big of difference?Thank you so much for all the help

It's a no-brainer. That consumer zoom will perform pretty well stopped down a bit at the long end, meaning you really have no lens for dedicated portraiture. It's a good lens for it's intended use - walkaround candids, portaits and landscape.

For $100 you can buy the 50/1.8 which will throw the backround out of focus quite nicely at 2.8 or give you a more standard effect at f5.6 or f8 right in it's sweet spot.

The zoom will be wide open at 5.6, not exactly working to it's strength, and does not have the ability to shoot in low light. That's a serious deficiency that can be filled cheaply.

I have the F1.4 50mm. My recommendation when making your decision is to put less weighting into the additional brightness you will get, and more more weighting into the depth of field.

F1.4 gives you less depth of field than F1.8. I have found that a fill-flash compensates very nicely for just that extra little bit of brightness that you need if you stick with an F1.8.

Having said that, let's talk about brightness: if you don't have a flash and you really want brightness in an indoor setting, get the F1.4.

Zaakiy