Filter threads on Ilex Caltar--FYI How-to

john_galuszka

You may think that the lens in question is "low budget" suggesting that it was't as good, however, Schneider re-designed the SA as an f5.6 8 element 105 degree lens in order to compete (at an even higher cost). The WFC sold new in 1969 for $149.00 (in the world's best shutter, Seikosha MX). The Super Angulon f8 in Compur was $194.40, and the Super Angulon f 5.6 in Compur was$328.00, all three in 90mm focal length. We sold the WFCaltars in the hundreds and never had a return. I might not say the same for some other lenses.

This lens exceeded all of the 6 element 100 degree super wides in the world at that time (1960's). They are still competitive today (in fact I still own two of them (one a 90mm WFCaltar the other a 65mm B&J Acugon (I was VP of that company and suggested the used of Ilex to B&J and BBOI based on my experiences). They are ,of course, identical with Ilex WA Paragon, B&J Acugon and BBOI Superwide equivalents.

The WF Caltar was only made in 90mm due to a decision by Calumet (of which I was a management team member who disagreed). The others were made in 47mm, 65mm, 75mm, and 90mm. All of these were made up intil the 1980's.

I hope that the modification shown above doesn't vignette the image, it stick out quite a ways.

Lynn

RE: Jones comment

I didn't mean to imply low quality by "low budget," only the prices at eBay ... I just bought one and I already have pair of Super-Angulons.

RE: Walden comment

No vignetting detected in a 4X5 with lens swung left, back swung right; I haven't checked a 5X7.

I plan to use the lens with a 6X15 roll film back (5 exposures per roll of 120 film,) but I haven't finished building it. I'll post an update when the project is done.

I think you'll like it, John. Remember to "focus in", with your lens, focus at the desired distance unless it is over 35 feet away, if that is the case, focus at 35' and carry the longer distances by DOF. All 100 and 105 degree wide angle lenses are optimized for 1:1 and so for long distances thay should be focused at the Hyperfocal Distance, for all the 90mm's 35 feet works well for all apertures.

Lynn

• 1 month later...