Found a good alternative to flatbed 35mm

Hi. I just thought I would post this to show what can be done in the way of cheap

scanning. This image is taken from a 35mm neg put in my old projector then (with

a bit of muting of the light) putting my Fuji f10 up to the lens. There is no macro

mode needed. I have used the Epson 2450 and the canon fs2710 amongst others

and this shot is slightly better than either option. (That?s true resolution not size). I

have done a very small sharpening on this one but would be happy to post a

100% view of part of the original if anyone wants to see it.

I have more experiments to do but I am pretty happy with this so far.This is about

half size.

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/7223076-lg.jpg<div>00PMNa-43257384.thumb.jpg.0851f1ec7c07c2e6d06905d891aa768d.jpg</div>

Something like that. I keeps me out of trouble.

Here is another 35mm sample taken with the same Nikon f1.2 lens but wide aperture. I darkened this version but the original shows better dynamic range then my canon scan did.<div>00PMQv-43259684.thumb.jpg.960e50ee952d7ded5130b4622e7a0062.jpg</div>

Exactly. I just go almost full zoom and photograph into the copier. I tried all sorts at first, an inverted SLR lens and macro directly with the camera but the edges were very soft as expected. Then I thought why not just try it and to my surprise it worked, the frame is nice and square with sharpness edge to edge.

A Hanimex/Fuji analog to digital converter system. My word!

I suppose that a lightbox with a copy stand (or "headless" enlarger) mght work too. Or lay the camera under the enlarger. Gee, I think I've got something like that somewhere around here... hmmm....

I used 5 sheets paper in between the lenses within the projector at first. Then I found a bit of white glass and now just use that and 1 sheet. I don?t actually recommend the paper method, or even opening up a projector to anyone though. If you wish to it is at your own risk. I keep a close eye on things, they get very hot. I think the best way would be to insert a thin piece of white glass just behind the negative.

No I don?t have a good sample with my old scanners. I have done a lot of manipulation to them so any comparison would be worth little. There should some un-altered samples on the net though.

I was out today and took this. Below is 100% crop taken about f2 with a 50mm 1.8 Zuiko on some old Acupan 200. Some levels in Photoshop but no sharpening.<div>00PMyP-43273384.jpg.d1f3de2ddce3330656322ff86814a7fa.jpg</div>