G5 dual VS Mac Mini Intel

Now that I'm using a D300 I am looking to upgrade my Mac from my current G4 733

maxed out at 1.5GB of ram to a newer, faster machine. But, I need to spend less

than $1000. So, I see G5 dual CPU models are now in that price range and can use

a lot of ram 8-16GB, but, is a Mac mini core 2 dual 2Ghz with 2GB of memory and

a 120gb drive "good enough"? No Vista suggestion, pleeeze!

I use a final series Power Mac G5 DP 2Ghz. It is a higher performance machine than an

Intel Mac Mini, not so much for its raw processing power but for the fact of its versatility,

adaptability to different graphics adapters and hard drive configurations, etc. It's designed

to be worked HARD for a lot of things and is a very solid, robust machine in every way.

That said, an Intel Mac Mini will do a good enough job for a great deal of work. Consider

as you would a high end laptop with a desktop monitor, keyboard & mouse. Expandability

and versatility is limited but it will do a much better job than a G4 733Mhz class machine.

Godfrey

That's a tough bind in a way. between the 2 I'd agree w/Godfrey, the Dual G5. But I would

use CS2, not CS3 and/or Lightroom. I think the mini is fairly limited. If you could wait and

save a little more, the new iMac's are just about ready to be released. All this stuff costs.

At the Apple Store, you can get a refurbed, warrantied iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo for $949 which you can upgrade to 4-gigs 3rd-party RAM for another $95. Sell your current machine on craigslist or ebay, and you have enough money for an external backup drive (assuming you don't already have one) with cash left over.

One thing to keep in mind with the G5 is that in order to get more speed out of the processors, Apple had to resort to using liquid cooling in the G5's. I think this started with the DP 2.5GHz models. This system worked quite similar to the cooling system on a car engine, but on a smaller scale. In fact, I believe that Delphi may have produced some of the cooling system components. Over time, some of these computers developed <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html#storytop">coolant leaks</a>. If caught early, these can be fixed with the right mechanical skills. However, if coolant leaks and spills onto the processor, kiss the computer goodbye. Aside from the potential coolant leaks, the G5 will be up to the task.

<I>"64-bit...........I'm not sure OS X uses it, but it's there."</I><P>OSX 10.5.x Leopard is

64-bit.<P>With your budget I would go with the refurbished from the Apple Store, or check

our Powermax dot com, they sell refurbished Macs. BTW, Apple released new iMacs today

starting at $1199.