F-1(n), step up or down?

young

I shoot on a K-1000 every day. The shutter is slowly failing. I have looked at

getting it repaired, but I think I would rather have a slightly more

"professional" (read, features) camera.

I enjoy the pentax, but I feel the support (like finding accessories, parts,

lenses...) is lacking. I would like to know what you all think.

I would shoot on the pentax untill it dies (which is not far off...) then move

to something else. I don't care to shoot digital, so I would hope you would not

steer me twards that option. My wife has several EOS cameras so the FD/EOS is no

problem (meaning she would have no problem using FD glass).

I have looked at other systems, and I feel I want to stay as truly "manual" as I

can. The F-1 seems the best option, or it is the camera I like the best. I had

though that I might want to move to Nikon, but it just seems dumb to buy Nikon

AND Canon glass. An adapter is an adapter I guess.

So to recap: Would the F-1 be a good move after the pentax dies?

JRY

I have 3 Canon F1's. I shoot primary Nikon digital and film, but do enjoy using the F1N's. Before going to a Nikon F100, I thought the Canon EOS3 to be a nearly perfect camera, but I will never sell my Canon F1Ns, simply because it is such a great and reliable camera.

There are three different models of the Canon F1 .. make sure you compare them and decide what fits your need. Selection of a camera is very much a personal choice .. and the F1 is a rock solid and capable camera.

Only the original F1 was fully manual, the others became slightly more sophisticated. Some people really like the feel of manual focus cameras and I understand that. Using newer cameras in manual mode is not as comfortable as the older system cameras. But to say it would be a good move is not someting I can answer for you.

If you shoot everyday, an F1 is built for it and there have been a lot of people very comfortable using it. But at today's prices and market .. only you can decide if it works for you.

The qualities specific to the F-1 (as opposed to other cameras) are durability and the fact that it's a 'system' camera-- in other words, you can interchange finders, screens, and even backs. I prefer the last version myself (the 1981 F-1N) because it has a silicon meter and brighter screens. Others prefer the earlier versions; <i>chacun a son gout</i>.

<p>

There is a fearsome error in your third paragraph: your wife will not be able to use FD glass on her EOS cameras. There is a 2mm registration difference that makes this impossible, at least for practical purposes.

<p>

I'm a fan of FD, but if I were you, I'd just go over to EOS now. You could share lenses with your wife, and you would have both worlds of film and digital open to you. If I was determined to stay with manual focus, I'd look into Leica R or Contax SLRs-- their excellent lenses can be adapted for your wife to use on her EOS. But I'm not you.

Pentax K-mount cameras are plentiful and inexpensive on the used market. A an alternative, you could replace your K1000 with something like a Pentax LX. I believe that you can adapt K-mount lenses to the EOS mount with infinity focus by combining two mount adapters, (1) Pentax K to M42 screw mount and (2) M42 to EOS.

The Canon F-1 (any version) is a MAJOR step up from the Pentax K-1000. The F-1 is a professional level instrument with all the tank-like build quality, feel and pro accessories that go with it. If, as you say, want to stay as manual as possible, then these cameras are it. I like my EOS gear too, but I still enjoy the fantastic quality of Canon FD lenses. Now if you are really looking for more "features" in a pro level manual focus body, look no further than the Canon T90. IMHO the finest manual focus camera ever made. Forget sharing FD lenses with EOS. The commonly available adapters have cheap glass elements that cut image quality. The Canon made adapter is better but frightfully rare and expensive. Nikon lenses adapt to EOS better than FD lenses but you lose a lot of the functions of auto focus and metering. EOS bodies want EOS lenses. For me, I got my wife her own kit(she likes zooms)so she will keep her sticky fingers off my fine FD primes. One other "advantage" of Canon FD is that since Canon made a change in mount in the EOS cameras, FD cameras, lenses and accessories are plentiful and very affordable. If you liked your K-1000, you will be in camera Nirvana with a pro-level Canon FD kit. Good Luck.........Lou

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. The reason I had chosen the F-1 is because it is a "system" camera. I also believe it can be used without batteries. I don't want to have to rely on something as trivial as batteries. I know I could easily carry extra.

Dave, so even with the adapters it doesnt work? Or are you talking about a focusing issue?

Contax would be ok but the glass price (as far as I have found) is a little prohibitive. The most expencive lens I see myself buying would be a fast prime, perhaps a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.2.

I usually don't change lenses all that often, so if the FD doesn't work with the EOS then so be it. The other lens I would use would be a good telephoto. Im not a big fan of zooms, so a 135mm or even a good 200mm prime is fine.

It is said that FD with adapter is not a good idea.

The generally accessible adapters with lens will spoil the quality of your FD lens. The original FD must be very rare, I have never seen it...

Without the lens in FD-EOS adapter you will not have infinity.

On the other hand on EOS I have used m42 lens with adapter and I was not happy because of the difficulties with focusing.

I was never really sure if I am in focus or not. I think that F1 or T90 is a good choice if you are happy without AF and with the fact that FD lens practically cannot be used on different bodies. But lot of other lenses can be used on FD. I am happy with m42 Jupiter-9 on my Canon A1 and T90.

If you are a fun of fix lenses, you can take for instance from the 20/2.8, 35/2 (the old concave lens is superb mainly with BW film, because of it yellowish colour), 50/1,4, 135/2, 200/2,8 a set, recently on a fairly low price. Highly regarded the 80-200/4 L zoom and any L lens on a higher price range of course.

THe battery thing is really a NON issue with any of the Canon cameras that use either a PX-28 size cell (readily available at most drug stores.) In a F-1N or one of the A series bodies the PX-28 will last over a year with regular use. The T Series like the T-70 and T-90 that use AA cells will last most of a year on a set of batteries that can be bought everywhere

As the guys have explained except for macro and Longer then 200mm telephoto's the Canon FD/EF mount adapters will not allow you to cross over with your wife's system.

An FD body with a simple inexpensive adapter will how ever use any Pentax lenses you have that are screw mount. And I think that you can also find a K mount adapter.

The 50mm f1.4 in Canon FD is not expensive a really nice example can be had for under $40.00 heck you can buy one with an A-1 body attached for $75.00! And it is an excellent lens.

The 85mm f1.2L will cost you a bit more $500-600.00 would be a safe est. the 85mm f1.8 will run from $125.00 -200.00 and use the same filters as the 50mm if you get both with the same style mount (the breach ring style uses 55mm as it's filter size the bayonet style mount uses 52mm)

The older F-1 and F-1n can as you say be used without batteries but you will have no meter and both of those bodies were designed for the 1.35V mercury battery so a work around will have to be dealt with. The Newer F-1N or NewF-1 will operate at 1/90th to 1/200th and B with the battery removed.

Like I said the 6V PX-28 or LR-44 size battery used in the New F-1 lasts a very long time and here in little Silverton Oregon Both drug stores and the hardware store carries them they are used in all kinds of products besides cameras including garage door openers Car alarm remotes and Dog training collars. SO the issue of battery dependency is kind of silly you can even get a little plastic holder that will put one on your camera strap they are about the diameter of an AA but only about 1" long.

I agree that adapting FD lenses to EOS cameras is not a good idea. I have two F-1 bodies, five finders and many screens. The F-1 mechanical cameras have very nice viewfinders and are very capable cameras. Lately I have been looking for and finding the somewhat brighter L focusing screens. I use an MR-9 adapter along with an MS-76 or 386 cell. You can get these from C.R.I.S. Only the more exotic FD lenses are still expensive. Asahi made a system camera called the LX but it is generally more expensive than an F-1 or F-1n in good condition and its accessories are hard to find. If you like your K mount lenses then you might consider an ZX-M, which has lots of features or a Super Program.

I should have been more clear. When I said I didn't want to worry about batteries, I was refering to a full auto camera that used some sort of battery for power.

I do not want to be crippled by loosing power and only having 1 or 2 manual speeds. However, if there is no battery for the 1971 F-1 and the same accessories can be used on the F-1 new, then I think im gonna get one. I found a body for $165, which seems like a good deal... Ill keep you posted. It looks like an 1984 F-1N

I love my mountain of Canon FD equipment that I use for 90% of my pics(I own a complete film EOS system,too) but if I were in your position I would look for another Pentax body and a EOS 3 (or 1V) to use with your wife's EOS lenses.The EOS 3 will do about everything until the whole world has gone digital crazy and all us film guys will be forced, due to market, forces to "convert" ,or else.Most of us FD folks have been building our systems for decades and we are "locked in" - not your situation. If you really must have a FD system go for a F1N.

There may be some confusion over the different F-1 models. The original F-1 of 1971 was a fully mechanical camera. None of its shutter speeds are bettery dependent. The F-1n was introduced in 1976 and was a slightly improved version of the original F-1. All accessories which fit one also fit the other. In 1981 the F-1N (also called New F-1) came out. Some of its shutter speeds are battery dependent and some are not. The F-1N had different viewfinders, focusing screens and motors/winders. These accessories will not fit the earlier F-1 or F-1n models.

The F-1N has a better damped mirror than the earlier F-1 models but does not have a mirror lock-up feature like the F-1 or F-1n. If you want a camera with automatic exposure, the F-1N should be your choice. The F-1 and F-1n can take the Servo EE finder for shutter priority automation but this is very slow and cumbersome. It is also difficult to find a working Servo EE finder with all of its parts. The F-1 and F-1n cameras have CdS metering. The F-1N has a later and more sensitive meter. Finally there is the issue of finder brightness. There were two sets of focusing screens for the F-1 and F-1n cameras. The first set had one letter code for each screen. The second set had the letter L (Lasermatte) before the screen letter code. The L screens are brighter. The F-1N screens each have a two letter code. The F-1N viewfinder is supposed to be somewhat brighter than that of an F-1 or F-1n with an L screen. F-1N bodies sell for much more than F-1 or F-1n bodies. The youngest F-1n is from about 1980 so I would recommend a full overhaul. You should expect to pay about $150 for that service and Essex Camera Service in Carlstadt, NJ can do a good job. They overhauled two F-1 bodies for me.

The T90 is a very enjoyable camera to hold and use, but it is dependent on batteries. I own an F-1, and it is built like a tank, but for most of my type of photography, one gives up very little when using an FTb, and they are dirt cheap nowadays. The FTb, like the original F-1, requires a battery only for the meter, and there ae several ways of meeting its need for the equivalent of the mercury battery.

Thats a funny question.

I have used Canon Fd for 16 years.

I have used Pentax for 6 years.

I have used Canon Eos for 3 years.

Your K1000 was a popular "student camera".

The F-1, F-1n and F-1N are all probodies from different eras:

70's, 80's and early 1990's. Thats where the humor is for me.

Student camera, versus real Pro Camera line.

Since pentax began offering digital slrs in 2002 the price of used prime K Mount has dramatically rocket'd upward. Examples?

28mm f2 SMC-M $600-$850

My 28mm f2 FD Montreal Olympics maybe $150... Maybe.

400mm 5.6 FA $2600, ebay last couple days

My 400mm 4.5 FDn $300-$600

If you have no desire to persue dslr pentax imaging then pick up FD System instead. The lens prices are better, across the board, the F-1 family of probodies put LX to shame. LX is the comparision to F-1 as they are each Pro Level 35mm format. Pentax has QUIETLY abandoned their film camera line, 3 years ago. Pentax got bought by Hoya/Tokina/Kenko April 1st 2008 so Pentax past will no longer predict their future biz.

Don't get me started on Eos, as I'd simply tell you my Eos-3 film body is simply the BEST 35mm film body I've ever own/owned. And if you ever decide to "Go Digital" there is a solution.

F-1 are all great bodies, I'd loose the fixation with AA batteries. Its really no big deal, AA are EVERYWHERE. F-1, F-1n both work fine without battery. F-1N, mine, has the motordrive so I use simple 50c a pop AA's. $4 bucks for an 8 pack.

I Love my F-1 family of bodies, I still own 6, my Pentax digital, I own two, and my Eos-3. They are all tools. I'd skip the K1000 replacement and pentax brand for film use. And I do own a ZX-L, bought new 6 years ago. Great camera, with fg drive it too takes common AAs.

If you want no digital solution and want less pricey pro quality lenses and more pro body options:

Any F-1 and Fd System are brilliant choices.

Lindy

I consider my New F-1 to be as well-made as anything ever made, including Leica.

Unfortunately, it has 3 curious faults:

-No mirror lockup.

-No AE lock

-Shutter speed limit of 1000 when using aperture AE.

With the winder, AAs last forever.