2008 advice-on how to get the best digital print from a 35mm slide

Lot's of information on here but it is outdated or just too much for me too add up in my head.

background: I have several color slides 35mm slides shot in 2000 on a trip to Nepal all taken with a

Contax G2 system.

the sides are crisp and want the best enlargement available

i want the best 20x30, hopefully or , more?

I have some of the slides already scanned in tiff mode around 7 megapixel size. WIll that yield 20x30?

can i have them scanned-done professionally bigger and "better" so I can they better size/quality?

I understand the factors with scanner quality etc.. resolution.

my knowledge of what photoshop is medium..and I hear something about programs that can break the

picture down and realign pixels... can't recall the name.

I know the old way of blowing up a shot is not an option for me.

hope someone can see through my mess and get an idea what I mean : )

For a sharp print that large, you'll want a high resolution scan. 4000 PPI is the max for many film scanners.

Uncompressed tiff files from a 35MM slides at 4000PPI are about 60MB at 8 bit.

There is a program called Genuine Fractals that can resample a low resolution scan for better enlargements.

For maximum quality I'd also suggest a high resolution drum scan. 20x30 is pushing it for 35mm.

If they weren't shot on a tripod at optimal apertures there may not be a whole lot more detail on the film than what the Coolscan V is able to resolve, but you will get whatever is on the film as sharp as you can get.

I'd try one each way and see if you need the additional resolution from a professional drum scan.