Manufacturers using proprietary batteries?

Why do they build cameras using proprietary batteries when I have never heard

of any sane person that likes or wants them?

Every article I have ever read while researching cameras concerning the

"battery's used" applauded double AA rechargeable and moaned about the

proprietary ones.

It just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever, at one point I was really

interested in a Panasonic FZ18, I read through the whole review, when I found it

did "NOT" use AA's, I totally lost interest.

Personally I would have to very much want the other features of a camera which used penlight batteries before I purchased it.

In general terms the propriatory battery is far far superior to damm fool torch batteries. I also see no point in purchasing yet another battery charger when the camera maker supplies one with the camera.

Going overseas with a Nikon and Panasonic camera I was a little concerned weightwise at needing to take two chargers, miniscule little things really, but quickly made myself a two way plug arrangement to suit vertical and angled flat pin sockets so I could use both at the same time.

I have very rarely run out of battery power with good management and operation of my gear and having a second battery for each camera.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who appreciate the advantages of the propriatory battery and you have been completely misled by those with whom you have discussed this matter. Sorry freind but you have the wrong end of the stick :-)

I agree with J.C.

I much prefer proprietary batteries. Smaller charger, more efficient use of the cavity in the camera for a smaller camera ("supercompact AA-using camera with long battery life" is an oxymoron), and all kinds of memory capabilities for telling you how much charge is left (often with actual percentages). Those aren't things that many newbies are going to notice - your "Every article I've ever read bemoans proprietaries" remark may reflect reading reviews on sites like Amazon and Best Buy - but if you read reviews on dedicated photography websites you may get a different impression.

Some will say AA's are more convenient when traveling because "in a pinch" they can buy disposables. I say "Do the green thing" and carry a spare rechargeable proprietary battery (or spare AA rechargeables) rather than adding to the landfills....

Those proprietary lithium ion batteries pack a big energy punch in a much smaller package than AA cells do, hence, they make much more compact cameras possible.

You can still give yourself some protection against obsolescence by choosing a camera that uses a very common type of lithium battery.

Canon, Nikon and Panasonic seem to use the same battery types for quite a few different cameras, and Ricoh uses Panasonic-type batteries. And the more popular the battery type, the easier it will be to find fresh replacements at good prices for years to come.

Personally, I like the AA or even AAA option. I have gone on many 1 to 3 week trips that had no access to a power source. On one particularly photogenic 21 day outing I took along 7 proprietary lithium ion batteries once for a Panasonic FZ5, and another 5 for a Canon 10D. That's really not a cheap alternative, and I would have greatly appreciated slightly larger cameras with a AA magazine in them.

a single charge on one battery with all three of my DSLRs nets 500-800 exposures. Four

of those batteries plus a travel charger with universal AC power and 12V auto connection

is much more compact and generally last a whole two week trip for me without even

requiring a recharge.

My previous cams took AAs that gave similar battery performance but where much more

of a pain to deal with in the field.

Hi Lola. I prefer AA's - Energizer 2500 mAh to be exact. 4 of them recharge in under 1.5 hrs. My Pentax K100D Super takes 4 of these, as does the flash (AF360FGZ). I find it simplifies things being able to use spares where needed and being able to pick up AA's on the fly. From the specs I've seen it looks as if the K200D gets awesome battery life from AA's. Might be worth a look for you.

Duane Mills you seem to understand what I am trying to say. I never heard one single person say anything about the cost of those proprietary batteries.

Trying to say that people on Amazon.com, Yahoo, Steves Camera, etc, don't know what they are talking about is totally ridiculous.

Also the proprietary battery charger that everyone seems to think is so cute and small, can you charge batteries for your home phone, remote control, mouse, and other items with it? What else will you proprietary battery work in? How many Eneloops can you buy for the cost of one proprietary battery? If you are in the middle of nowhere and it poops out what do you do, oh I forgot you have to have a couple for backups. Now you're talking 1 to $200.00 in batteries. If you are on a shoot in Cambodia, Africa, West Virginia, Russia, deserts, mountains, wherever and you loose/get stole, witch do you think will be the easiest to get in a reasonable amount of time?

Sorry to rant but supporting those proprietary batteries is ridiculous.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries (AA's) have two disadvantages: 1) They don't old as much power for their weight or size. 2) They have a shorter shelf life between charges. That last problem is somewhat mitigated by Eneloop and the like, but the bottom line is that cameras using AA or AAA batteries are larger and heavier, and/or have shorter battery life.

The advantages to cameras that accept AA or AAA batteries is that the batteries are less expensive, more readily available, and you can choose between rechargeable or disposable.

Both technologies have fans because people have different needs. That's not going to change.