Unhappy client - Advice Needed

I shot a wedding reception recently in a dark ballroom. I feel the photos are

decent but the client is unhappy claiming you cant see anyone and is demanding a

full refund of $250.00. They haggled with me before even shooting the wedding

reception trying to get the price down. I think they may have an issue with

there monitor or they just didn't want to pay in the first place. I will admit

the photos are not my best work some have softer focus and are a bit on the dark

side but they are acceptable. This was a last minute assignment and we didn't

have a contract. (i know i know, bad on my part)

What I want to know is can they do anything else besides take me to small claims

court for the $250?

Or should I just suck it up and give them the $250?

Thanks so much!

I'd be very unhappy too if my photogrpaher was delivering photos which, in the photographer's own words have "softer focus and are a bit on the dark side".

"...but they are acceptable."

According to whose standard?

"This was a last minute assignment and we didn't have a contract."

There is always time to write up a contract.

Well, it IS kind of dark. Microsoft picture editor's autocorrect feature makes it look pretty decent, but shouldn't you have done that yourself? And Why ARE they dark? I don't know what you were using, but presumably you would be dialing the ISO if necessary, testing the exposure, using a tripod if necessary, importing lights if needed, or picking a spot near the windows to get a little window light. I'm not a pro, but even an amateur landscape photographer like me could think of those things. And if you took them in RAW you could correct somewhat in the "development" from the RAW.

It seems to me that if one takes money for photography (which I don't) one is held to a higher standard. If you were taking these shots for free, that's an entirely different matter. If that $250 was just to purchase film or to defray your actual expenses, then that too would be a different thing.

I'm not trying to be hard on you. I'm just saying that there are some pretty easy things that even an amateur could do to produce pretty good results that a professional should presumably be doing.

Why don't you fix the photos in photoshop? attached is an auto levels and it makes a lot of difference. I did not do anything else. If you can adjust them all then you don't have to return the money. You can get lightroom and do everything there as well. it is a simple adjustment. but as it is yes the photo is very dark.

I think the lighting fix made it alot better. Way too dark. I would be unhappy too. You shouldn't have shown the picture unfixed in the first place. My main problem with the picture is the background. The painting behind the family is too distracting. I'm sure there was somewhere else you could've shot the picture. Even the stairs would've been a better choice. My opinion, suck it up and give it back. If your trying to establish clients, protect your rep. Her bad mouthing you all over town won't book you any more shoots.

The fact that you delivered a 1.5 stops underexposed jpeg in the ProPhoto RGB space is very peculiar. No wonder the client is unhappy.

Unless you know what you're doing (and the image itself says unfortunately otherwise) you should give the client an apology, a full refund and the original unedited files so they can take them elsewhere and have them fixed.

Peter

Sorry, but not having anything else to base this on but the photo you supplied and what you

say in your post, I'm of the opinion that you should issue a refund.

The quality of the sample photo, i.e., lighting, pose, location, is not very good. If this photo is

indicative of the rest of the images you took on that occasion, I'd not be impressed if i were

the client.

Please take this as constructive criticism, but realize that in order to be a professional

photographer, you must strive for and produce professional-quality results......not

"acceptable" results.

I agree with the others, and your client, Paula. Either fix these (as best you can) in Photoshop, or give them a refund. And don't take any more of this kind of work until you get some training and mentoring, and hands-on experience. And I say that with love in my heart!

I imagine they would rather have the photos than the money. Perhaps you would end up better by paying the $250 to a forum member good with PS to clean up the images, and present the new versions to them. Go a long way to good will, and keeping a solid reputation in tact...

Firstly, I would in this case return all monies.

Secondly, (and I don't mean this to hurt your feelings either) this shot is not a professional shot in any sense of quantifiable, technical merit. It is a poor example of a family get together shot, done by an amateur.

Based on your description of "not your best work", I would hope you produce considerably better results normally, or plan to refund everyone's $250 sooner or later.

If you want advice, get some books and study hard before your next time and while you wait, practice like crazy.

Best, D.

I'd fix them and give them a refund. The picture you posted for an example is worse than bad. Sorry. I'm surprised that you showed them to the client like this in the first place. The unfortunate thing is that no matter how much you fix them in PS they are so underexposed that they will never be able to make a nice enlargement from the file. You shouldn't be charging anything to photograph events yet.

Howdy!

I imagine you're probably feeling pretty discouraged by now.

I also imagine that this is probably your very first wedding (at least indoors), and you usually do much better work within your element, probably outdoor photography and such, where low light is not a factor.

This is not a get rich quick business. It's very difficult, highly demanding, high stress work. Photography is only a small part of it. You also have to be able to get along with people, while at the same time asserting your rights as a photographer and a businessperson.

Ask yourself if you're really up to it. If so, you have a lot to learn.

Start slow. Before you ever shoot another portrait, read some books, study this forum, and look at lots of other people's work, not to copy, but for inspiration. After you get some more knowledge, see if you can get work as a second shooter before you go out and shoot on your own.

Good luck,

Paulsky

You're going to keep running into this with random indoor venues. That's one nasty background, but you did have the presence of mind to get some elevation and shoot down.

Get your hands on a nice strong flash unit, maybe some diffusers and reflectors, and find someone to teach you how to light big gloomy rooms. Natural-looking results are possible even with artificial light, it's perfectly acceptable for group shots, and once you get the hang of it you won't be at the mercy of the venue.

Like every contributor here, I would not present your original to the client. You made a mistake - and I really think that you need more experience before you go any further with your career. There are a few ways you can do this - study a course, join a photography club, read lots of books, practice a lot, and offer to do free work as an extra shooter at events until you have better skills.

Aside from this on the equipment front - use a flash. Or at least meter for the skin tones and get your tripod on the go.

But also learn a little about editing too - every photographer enhances their digital files post-event, even to give the pics a bit more 'punch'. But you've made some hard work for yourself here. That said, I spent less than a minute in PS 6 and have a significantly better shot - just like the other contributors.

I would advise you to edit the lot for a start - then show the clients - I am sure everyone here will be happy to give you some tips on editing if you need them. If the clients then approve, offer them a good album and an enlargement as well as all rights to this particular job with the edited images as a good will gesture. If the client is still unhappy, I think I would return their money in this case.

Hope that is constructive comment for you.<div>00PGzw-43104284.jpg.d2a47aa8c31d811efa3c4c33fa145e69.jpg</div>

I'm afraid the judge may not concur with your excuses. Before the couple has a chance to take you to court give them a full refund. Even the retouched posted images don't make it.

In court anything could happen. Was there a contract signed? The couple could hire an attorney and avoid the small claims court and file a lawsuit in the higher court systems. Your expenses could add up fast if this happened.

I would be very concerned of higher courts and the costs will most likely start around $10,000. There is no law stated that this couple has to file a lawsuit in small claims court.

Even without a written contract, there is an implied agreement. You accepted their money and agreed to provide quality photos.

Based on the example photo, for which I can't access the original, I would say you failed and therefore owe the client a formal written apology and a refund of the money paid. And then hope they don't decide to take you to court as Bob pointed out for damages, etc...

In the future -

1. Use flash - Almost any flash is better than none in this situation

2. Compose the picture better. The painting in the background is a distraction and you're cutting off feet in the front row... Does the painting have some significance to the family?

3. Take your time and adjust the participants. Yes, it's a reception and they are all hungry in a hurry to eat, drink and be merry, but if they want the photo, they'll be patient enough to do it right.

4. Shoot RAW. Ignore those who say RAW isn't worth it. There are times to take shortcuts and Weddings isn't one of them.

5. Chalk this up as a learning experience, build on it, learn what you did right and wrong and move on.

Dave