Anti-Rotation Pins for Tripod Release Plates - Suggestions?

robert_hurd

Hi, Photo.Net!

QUESTION: Do folks have suggestions for "Anti-Rotation Pins" that I could

insert into the open holes available in various tripod Quick Release Plates?

EXAMPLE: While I considered simple metal screws and nuts, these would

interfere with proper seating of cameras, tripod plates/ heads, or other

equipment.

REASON: I upgraded all my tripods and heads to Bogen/ Manfrotto, and most

Bogen quick-release plates have open holes near the main screw. However, while

some of the Bogen tripod release plates have built-in anti-rotation features,

some do not.

CAVEAT: My goal is to not only prevent camera rotation, but also to prevent

rotation between dissimilar tripod plates. (I am enjoying the whole "Tinker

Toy" game of configuring this plate with that plate to that equipment.)

Thank you!

Robt.

QR plates with anti-rotation pins are pretty limited to the realm of video cameras. I know of no still camera with holes for such pins.

The best solution is to migrate to the Arca-Swiss style of quick release. Really Right Stuff and Kirk make plates specifically to fit various cameras so that rotation does not occur. The plates are thin enough to remain on the camera permanently, and the corresponding clamps can be adapted to nearly any tripod head (but work best will ball heads).

The "tinker toy" approach makes no sense to me. You would lose stability if you consistently stack various plates and be constantly assembling and disassembling the combinations. It would make more sense to abandon QR altogether and use the old-fashioned tripod screw method. However if you insist on stacking plates so that rotation does not occur, drill and tap extra holes and fasten them together with machine screws.

Thanks, Edward!

Tapping the existing plates holes is an option, indeed..since the tripod plates almost all have pre-drilled holes, but just no taps to accomodate flat-top metal screws.

From my own large, medium, pano, and 35 format cameras systems, the RB67s have anti-rotation pin holes beneath..but only can be lined up with the tripod plates offering sliding pins.

I imagine Bogen has already built a solution for this, but I just don't know what they "named" it for my Googling pleasure.

Either way....I am aligning more than just cameras, so my question still applies!

Robt.

I have the same plates on my Bogen. What I sue is a thin neoprin tape, which is the same as putting a piece of rubber between the camera and the plate to keep it from turning. It grips the camera nicely instead of scratching the bottom of your camera.
The more you say, the less people listen.

Thanks, Ed and Paul,

I'm checking rubber pads (versus cork). Meanwhile, I'm finding some round-head metal screws that are working okay in the pre-drilled Bogen holes. (Turns out my 617 and 4x5 also have dual holes that can accept pins...and it looks like the screws will work for those.)

Actually, I had researched the RRS products, and my impression was that RRS offers extremely high quality products...but at an even greater price...to then be locked into an Arca system on top of a Bogen tripod. Bogen has a far broader grip line, and since my strobe and hot light components are Bogen, I kinda figured I'd stick with being locked into those products.

Onward through the Fog!

Robt.

• 2 weeks later...