Night shots

northwest

No. What's the point? What filter would you use? I have pretty much been taking only night shots since last October, 2-3 nights per week, and have never seen a need for any filter. If anything, they'd most likely cause problems for me.

Kent in SD

About the only filter I might use frequently would be a color correction if I were doing film and needed color 'repair', i.e. tungsten / daylight, etc. For other gimmicky times I might use a star filter, but I can usually get a more pleasing effect with a nonfiltered lens stopped down to F16 or so, letting the aperture make the starburst. Try it wide open, then try stopped down, the difference is quite charming. Jim M.

GND filter can be used to hold back ambiant light to do star trails. Or to hold back moon light to expose a landscape. Standard ND filter can be used on bright moonlit nights to do longer exposures for trailing of what stars may be visible. I believe polarizer does still reduce reflections from moonlight. Other than this I see nothing more than use for special effects.

I've used polarizers for photos over water in moonlight or in the city at night to reduce glare from glass. Orange filters with b&w photos at night. Dunno if an orange filter would help with digital or color film.

Long exposures are long exposures. Once the camera is on the tripod and the timer is running, unless you're paying by the minute for your tripod parking space it doesn't cost anything but time to try filters.

For handheld low light photography, it doesn't make sense to add filters that significantly diminish the light, other perhaps than color correction filters with color film. With dSLRs this might make sense for shooting JPEGs under artificial light that defies white balancing.

I often shoot the Aurora Borealis and discovered that if I use any filters I will get Newton's rings, while capturing digitally, strange but true I did not see Newton's rings while shooting film with the same lens and filter. So my advise is for long exposures (18 seconds or greater)at night, digitally SHOOT NAKED.

A good example of Newton's Rings is posted here. http://www.photo.net/photo/4215301&size=lg

• 4 months later...

I just experienced the same Newton's Rings while shooting the aurora borealis as James. It was a relatively warm (30 F) August night and the UV filter on my Canon 17-35 zoom apparently caused the rings. If I remember correctly, I noticed something on the monitor, took the filter off and the rings disappeared on subsequent frames. Or maybe I shifted positions and just got lucky. In any case, the Newton's rings were limited to three frames on one night out of three nights.

I can only second the importance of shooting without filters while viewing the aurora borealis. I got some great images without it, but am having a few pangs of regret that I didn't know in advance that I'd spoil some of my best frames through my ignorance.