Linux image library tools?

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Canon Rebel xSI with kit lens as well as

the 70-300IS.

In the mean time, I was hoping to find a few suggetions for Linux based

software for saving/sorting/labeling images.

I'm used to photoshop (my ex-wife has a Rebel XT & I used to use it), but I

hate having to either dual boot or run a virtualized Windows system. The Gimp

is great, if not as polished as CS3, but I have no idea what would be good for

keeping track of photos in Linux.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

digikam (KDE), f-spot (GNOME), Picasa uses a bundled version of wine but it's actually my favorite organizer. Install the ufraw plugin for GIMP. After trying Adobe Lightroom on my Mac I decided to buy Bibble Lite for Linux. The time saved from having a better workflow was definitely worth the ~$70. Workflow tools like Bibble, Lightroom, and Apple's Aperture are far more useful and save more time. You can do 90% of your work in them and only go to Photoshop/GIMP when you really need it.

What Walt wrote. I've used f-spot, but it was awhile ago. It had promise, but was still alpha when I used it. For Gnome take a look at gphotocoll. Also, a friend of mine has LR working under Linux. He didn't use Wine and I would have to ask what he did. I do know he installed XP and LR in a part after installing Linux -- the latest Ubuntu distro.

There are many virtual machines such as VM Ware that let you run Windows on Linux or run Linux on a native Windows machine. Within those you could install Lightroom, Photoshop, MS Office, or any other software.

It really depends on if you are a JPEG or RAW shooter. For JPEG I was quite happy with Picasa + GIMP. I now shoot RAW 95% of the time. I tried Picasa + GIMP+UF-RAW but I've finally settled on Bibble. It just saves so much time. You could also take a look at Raw Therapee