How do you fix outdoor shots taken with Tungsten WB?

wpoupore

Before anyone jumps in to say it, yes, I know I wouldn't have this problem if I had shot RAW but...

Shooting JPEG, I forgot to switch back to Auto WB when I went outdoors, so all the pics I shoot this

morning have a nice blue tone to them. I haven't yet jumped into the world of digital post processing so

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to fix this.

Currently the most sophisticated tool I have for image editing is Graphic Converter, but I'll be getting

Aperture shortly so I can switch to shooting RAW.

All help appreciated.

Bill<div>00PDou-43017384.jpg.9bf7f7ae392917e116387327e113648a.jpg</div>

I came up with this one this morning in response to a scanner color baslance.

It came right out my own brain. Here is the problem. You made a JPEG which lost the

information in the green and red channels and saved all the blue.

I opened in photoshop and the easy fix got you the above. junk. Sorry.

So I had to recreate the missing information to get it back to "raw" or at least something

close before the JPEG convernsion lost it.

Open in RGB channels rather than layers. Duplicate the red and green layer to recover

some or all the missing information. Convert back to layers. Merge them back together.

I lowered the contrast a bit, added a levels layer and adjusted the color in red and green

went into curves and brightened the face shadow, then lowered the blue curve a little.

It ended up close to normal. With more work I could get it perfect.

Consider photoshop instead of Aperture as much more can be done. Sometimes even a

photoshop dummy like me can come up with something new and useful.<div>00PDrY-43018584.jpg.df121ae4d70fd11b630b82f63f7bef19.jpg</div>

I don't know if it's possible to get it totally right but I tried adjusting the shot in Paint.net

There is a colour balance adjustment tool there. The other thing is what operating system do you use? If it's Windows Vista, there is a color adjustment tool there that has a pointer. Just try to find a gray spot on the picture and click that spot. It will make a decent auto adjustment of the image.

The camera comes with a perfectly fine RAW converter called Pentax Photo Lab...and assuming you hate it and refuse to use it, it still would have fixed this problem.

Likewise, RAW Therapy would have fixed this as well and it's free.

Adjusting a JPEG, assuming it's not a once in a lifetime shot is both pointless and futile even if the colors look OK you've lost so much information that it's basically a web image only.

Well, at least you've seen the light.

Justin,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Having messed up in the first place, even if it ends up a "web image only" quality there's no going

back and reshooting his first bike ride, so I'll gladly take whatever measures I can to improve what

I've got.

Regarding the Pentax Photo Lab software, I bought my K10D used and the prior owner didn't have

any of the software that came with it. Pentax Canada will happily sell it to me, but I think the money

is better spent elsewhere from what others have said about the Pentax software. Better off to buy

Lightroom or Aoerture?

Or you could look into Bibble Pro for less than either Aperture or Lightroom and just as if not more capable than the "Big Players"

Used the "Perfectly Clear" fix all and slightly tweaked the green level until it was better for my eye.<div>00PF1L-43054384.jpg.b29c5cd255022d090f8d240daa47bee6.jpg</div>

Bill I agree.

However, you should have asked someone on the board to send you a copy of the Photolab disk. all you need is an old copy, even the one that came with the ist D. Then you can download the new version for free.

I have no idea why Pentax needs to sell it to you. it can only decode PEF files, so it's not like you can buy a canon camera and use pentax software.