Question concerning April 2008 monthly project (Global Moment, April 5 15:00 UTC)

adey

"Are you checking EXIF data or what?" Are you trying to trick me Lex? :)

This month's project is hardly up for interpretation, yet there are submitted images with the details tabs clearly indicating dates not consistent with the theme.

I just think it's a shame that an excellent idea is being tainted, that's all.

Aww, don't take it so seriously. The whole thing was a lark. Your photo was in the spirit of things. More than mine. I was just too lazy to do more than take a snapshot of my radio between snoozing.

Y'know what? Those cheaters? They'll hafta do time in limbo, stuck at 1500 UTC indefinitely until The Great Photographer is satisfied with their creativity. Or lack thereof. Whichever comes first.

Sounds like an easy enough fix via software. The option to submit them to the project should not exist for photos whose upload date is before a set date for when the particular project was initiated. I would image since projects generally revolve around taking a new photo, that this could be a hard-coded thing.

>>> This month's project is hardly up for interpretation, yet there are submitted images with the details tabs clearly indicating dates not consistent with the theme.

That only matters if the date/time set in the camera and everywhere else in the digital work flow is set correctly. Unless you are in a position to verify every data/time setting in every camera that created every image you are not in a position to determine when an image was created. The best you can do is guess.

Fwiw, I cannot tell you what the date and time settings are in any of cameras. I just don't care; that data has no value to me.

<i>Sounds like an easy enough fix via software. The option to submit them to the project should not exist for photos whose upload date is before a set date for when the particular project was initiated. I would image since projects generally revolve around taking a new photo, that this could be a hard-coded thing."</i>

<p>

Given some more time, that would have been a good move on our part. I'll ask Jin if it is a quick thing to remove any image that was uploaded before April 5th, but I don't want to burden him if it's a big request. We have more important stuff going on.

<p>

Overall, we're pretty much relying on people to be honest for this sort of thing. We don't have the time or energy or investigative power to check to make sure everyone is playing fair for a project like this. It's a lot easier if the subject is "puppies", since I can delete any image of a duck as obviously being incorrect.

<p>

It's a bummer that people don't want to help make something cool by following the guidelines. But we can't let it bum us out too much.

I agree with Adrien. Don't take this lightly, Josh, because we all want exposure here on photo.net, but some are willing to break the rules. This frustrates the others and if you want that the Monthly Projects to be a success, you will have to stop the project page become a free-for-all picture posting event. Else I predict that the participation in these events will dwindle and no dedicated community will build around it.

I have no problem with it if my image is removed, because (as I frankly admit) it was taken 20 minutes before the agreed upon time due to battery problems (batteries empty, camera dead).

All this typical PN bitching actually came in useful for a change. After uploading my image twice I had forgotten to try that one last time that would count, so thanks for the reminder.

The clock in my 20D may be off a bit and and I don't know if I change it for day light savings time. I know the clock in my van which I was driving at the time and used to decide when to shot, is several minutes fast. If any of this blatant disregard for accurate time keeping comes across as disrespectful of the 'global moment in time' feel free to berate me profusely.

It's sad to me that a nice idea that was created with the best of intentions has not only been half-heartedly embraced, but now made ugly by these proclamations of self importance. Lex, I'm disappointed by your comments.......I think a lot of people had high hopes for this.....too bad about the results and reactions......

You expect people to both read the rules AND follow them? You must be one of those "glass half full people".

What about the ones who cheat and edit the EXIF data? If we try it again we should require all images to be accompanied by a notarized copy of a witness statement declaring they actually witnessed the shot taken at the required moment time (+/- 5 seconds).

oh come on...some of y'all are taking this way to seriously. i posted what i was doing around

the general time specified, as i believe most others did. i have enjoyed seeing what other

photographers were doing around that same time. this was a fun project. so what if a couple

didn't exactly follow the rules. it is possible that not everybody understood. this community

is not limited to those who use English as a first language. there is nothing at stake here. i

don't expect to win a prize for my photo of my cat. lighten up.....

I wouldn't have thought to check, but since Adrian has mentioned it ... I don't see the point of taking part in something if it's *not* taken seriously.

Having said that ... the three whose details I checked were the right date (didn't look at the times) and mine, for some reason, shows the time as 00:00 despite being taken within seconds of 15:00 so I'd better check my process and not chuck any stones until I've sorted out my glass house...

I use the no words forum almost daily. The vast majority of my uploads to that forum have never appeared in my portfolio and never will. If not wanting to alter my portfolio in order to participate in a forum makes me self important I am fine with that.

It is really too bad that a handshake and a promise is no good any longer. Anyway, I thought it was a nice idea and still do. If a few can't respond to the project with honesty, it's not worth the rest of us getting our balls in an uproar over.

<p><i>If not wanting to alter my portfolio in order to participate in a forum makes me self important I am fine with that.</i></p><p>I thought you could hide the folder it's in?</p><p><i>That's the sound of all the fun being sucked out of the room.</i></p><p>I thought it was the sound of your head imploding, when you realized there were rules to the project. ;-)</p>