How to find a platform for my social/cultural documentary work?

t_c16

Hi!

I'm a portrait photographer wanting to use my photographic images to convey a

social and/or cultural message.

For instance, I'm thinking of doing a photo documentary about the life of a

migrant farm worker. I'm also thinking of focusing on the children of these

workers etc. I'm thinking of narrowing my story too.

My question is where do I find the market for my project? Who would be

interested in the story I produce?

Would you normally call the newspapers to see if they are interested? Museums,

art galleries? I don't even know where to start.

Also how many photos are normally creted for a series?

Thanks!

Why not just launch your own web site, structure it with text and keywords that will bring in search engines and traffic on related searches, and then visit the countless blogs and other web sites that talk about such matters, politely dropping in links to your work. Mention on your site that you're willing to provide the writing and images in publishable qualities to the highest bidder.

What if you tried to frame your photo work inside a photojournalist approach, and then sell the story, along with the wonderful pictures to any number of current issues media outlets. ? You would cover the story from the angle you want, try to answer the WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, HOW, and WHY questions (the basics), and aim for accuracy in your material. Then organize the story using a simple 5 pt outline (Introduction, 3 main pts, and conclusion). Then spice the story with plenty of your great photographs. Then market the story to any number of media outlets (news magezines, newspapers, daily's, weekly's, web news sites like Reuters). If the media outlet likes your story, they print it, and you begin getting name recognition, which could open up more doors.

There is no 'good' or 'correct' answer to the one you pose. The subject was tacked by the Farm Services Administration during the Great Depression and they ended up with memorable work - for instance, Dorothea Lange who photographed her famous indigent itinerant farm worker mother (which is iconic -- one of the best known photographs in America) and others worked for the FSA.

I once worked for Associated Press, but their idea of such a subject was to do a 'roundup' of the story- sending bureau staffers from around the country out to farms for a few hours, probably less than a day, and assemble it all together in New York City headquarters, often replete with editing errors, but that won't work for you.

I remember my recent mentor telling me about his professional acquaintance, I think is name was Horace Bristol, who traveled with John Steinbeck photographing and documenting the paths of the migrant farm workers to California, even taking photos of the woman who ended up being one of the protagonists of Steinbeck's world-class novel 'Grapes of Wrath' but my friend tells me that although Horace Bristol's work was in galleries, his gallerist (agent) was tearing his hair out because Bristol simultaneously was selling RC (resin coated) images of his trip with Steinbeck out of his garage on weekend garage sales for $50 apiece and signing them. (He had gone with Steinbeck on what apparently was to be a shared self-assignment, but Steinbeck wrote the famous book and Bristol's photography, though iconic, had its thunder stolen, and he did not die a rich man or even well known.

Magazines might have some interest, but the day of the great photojournalism and news photography magazines is over, and when it ended in the '60s or so, it put some of the best photographers in the world out of business -- Elliott Erwitt (of the Magnum Agency) I understand complained of 'lack of work' though he still is going strong now, even at his very, advanced age (see his last book), and I remember Henri Cartier-Bresson coming to San Francisco with a museum-full of great work (not farm workers) at about that time (1969) selling his works for $100 to $300 apiece (they now go for tens of thousands per photo) at the De Young Museum, so he could finance his retirement. (I didn't get the connection between the exhibition and the retirement, so basically gave up photography, knowing I could never produce much like him -- and he filled an entire museum with his fabulous works.

It takes a while to 'catch on' and you may find that what 'Matt Laur' suggested above to be very helpful.

I just got off the phone with a guy who had looked at my work whom I met casually, and he suggested I conduct seminars, and he's been to many, as well as start a blog, based on our happenstance meeting, and in his case, it means something because he is connected in such circles.

You may have to work for several years (as I have for free) to get any recognition at all, but if you get your photography out and it is very good or touches a chord of nerve somewhere, you may get recognition. I am starting to get some, but I never had a marketing plan - I just began here as an amateur with some somewhat quirky images.

The thing is, if you have talent or just something 'popular' that is well enough executed (I don't know about having any talent, but my work is somewhat popular, I am told), then you may get 'seen'.

That's how I got to work for Associated Press: I walked into their photography bureau chief's office (the worldwide chief) and said 'I want to be a photojournalist in Viet Nam' and he laughed at this kid and said 'well, son, as he patted my back to steer me out the door, go to some small newspaper, like in rural Pennsylvania, take lots of photos, put some on the wire (wirephotos) and if we like you, we'll come and get you.

I went to Viet Nam with a camera anyway, but ended up getting Medivacced before I could make any sort of 'name' but based on that and work at campus riots at a freelancer, the San Francisco bureau hired me as a photographer and changed me into a newsman and taught me how to write as well and eventually that very head of AP photos did fly to the West Coast to ask me to come to NYC to help him.

The point isn't my early success in my '20s, but to say that if you are insistent, talented, work exhaustively and have LUCK, you might break into something.

Don't give up your day job unless, you're able to live on nothing, independently wealthy or some combination of the two, however, as there is no proven 'road to success' in most things, outside of going to a name business school of a high-rank law or medical school.

In photography, the path to the top has many branches, and one great photographer referred to in a post yesterday had a start in folk music, if you can imagine that. And what great photographer(s0 started out as friends of rock musicians chronicalling their rise -- and now is(are) an icon him/her/themself?

Yes, you will be standing in the 'shadow of giants' and a trip to the Magum Photo Agency's site should show you where many of those giants end up, as well as VII agency in Paris, and who knows, you might end up at one of those places, or start your own future in this newer medium known as the Internet.

It doesn't really matter what your path is if you 'make it' -- evereybody may assume that was the 'correct' path, but whatever path you take will be the 'correct' one if it gets you where you want to get.

But you better love photography and especally 'street/documentary' photography, as you'll be doing lots of interacting and have very good social skills, whether you're gregarious (as some) or shy (as others).

Best of luck.

John (Crosley)

John has given you some great advice and I will add we are sure lucky to have him here.

One thing you can try is to sell your story to smaller local magazines,I did with my rodeo photography when I was starting out and depending on how many photo's they use and if you make the front cover it can net you 1500.00 to 2500.00 as well as helping open other doors.

Take Care, Pete

If you are 'thinking' of this stuff it sounds as if you have not done it. Have you done anything? Get out and photograph whether you have a venue lined up or not. If you don't you are just like so many other "photographers" who talk about it but have nothing to show.

If you do the projects and they are good you will find a venue to show or sell the work.

<p>Common wisdom is this: </p>

<p>Do the work first. Compile a strong portfolio. Get it reviewed by peers and experts. Edit

and re-edit. Then, and only then, should you think about marketing it. It's good advice,

simply because there are so many people with confused ideas about photography, art and

journalism, all of whom are knocking on doors, and getting immediate rejections. You'll

only get one chance to impress people and stand out from the crowd, so make sure you've

got the material.</p>

It's the age-old question of how to get your pictures seen. Don't worry about the giants. Most of them are dead and the issues that interest you, unfortunately, fester on. There's always a need for new pictures.

I think the first thing you're going to want to do is get online. You also might check with groups such as the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, currently waging a petition war against Burger King. Groups like that can get you where you need to be to take the pictures you want to take, and even help you show them. The CIW, for example, has hosted migrant worker exhibitions on its Web site.

Do the work. Make a damned good portfolio. And get it out there.