cropping photos

darlene_taylor

I know I'm full of questions recently. I've been working on editing some

pictures to give to my first clients. I'm wondering about the cropping factor.

I'm using Photoshop elements 6 and/or iphoto 6. What are the dimensions to keep

when cropping. I have the options of choosing dpi and size (4x6, 5x7, etc.) I

want to be sure that heads won't get cropped off when they get them printed.

Did I make my question clear?

are they taking care of all the printing, or are you? And what camera was it you shot w/?

Digital? If I can't remember this, I'd better give up on paying bills, and go to bed...

Your camera is shooting in a 4x6 (8x12) ratio. Unfortunately, this means 5x7s, 8x10s, &

16x20s will all not let you get a full frame printed. 4x6 & so on (bad for framing) are the

only ones. For the events we just shot, Matt told me to go through w/ a 5x7 ratio crop -

since it's kinda in the middle of the 4x6 & 8x10 ratios.

I absolutely recommend using a particular size ratio - do not go by dpi or pixels. BUT,

this makes me think of another question... are you cropping just to fix framing... or are

you actually cropping your file DOWN to a particular SIZE?!??!??!

I'm not sure that I understand the question. You can crop the photos to whatever you like. However, in terms of having them printed, it would probably be easiest to stick with the standard sizes such as 8x10 etc. In iphoto, I'd crop using the 8x10 constrained, that way they'd have the option of a larger photo.

The other option, and I'm no pro, is to offer them a package of photos, i.e., 8 5x7's, and 3 8x10's. Let them pick which photos for each specific size after you provide them with your suggested sizes for photos (just means you'll be saving the original files). As a client, I'd be happier with that option (i.e., less choices and I know what I can expect to be able to do with the photo).

I've found some places online that print 8x12s, but most of the convenience places (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) seem to shun that size in favour of 8x10 (generally called 4x5 by photographers).

It sounds from your question that you are worried about what the printing people will do if confronted with a 2x3 ratio photo (such as that coming from your camera). In general, they will ruthlessly crop to whatever ratio you requested your photos in with no attention to artistic merit or people's heads (I suppose it gets done automatically). I know this from experience :-) Some websites allow you to choose a "white border" option so that the whole picture is fit into the paper and white borders are added to fill up the empty space. This is an option people not familiar with photography will probably not understand.

When I take portraits for friends, I cut a side off the pic so that it becomes 4x5. That way the pictures are composed like I want them and I know that when my friends go print 8x10 copies they will stay that way and no heads will be chopped off.

Regarding dpi, it doesn't matter unless the photos are being printed on a printer at home. If you go to Walmart or whatever, and ask for a bunch of 8x10s, that's the physical size the photos will be independent of dpi.

You could always include a note with the files on the CD stating what sizes they should/could be printed at.

The great thing about digital is that it gives you such control of image processing without all the chemical fuss & mess. Control of the crop alone is worth the price of admission.

Image size can be pretty confusing at first because there are various ways of measuring the size of an digital image. A key is to be clear about the difference between *file* size (as measured in bytes or pixels) and the size and dimensions of prints.

Maria gives a good overview of aspect ratio. The thing is, an image cropped to a 4:5 ratio, for example, can be printed at any multiple of those dimensions (expressed in inches, centimeters or whatever): 2x2.5, 4x5, 6x7.5, 8x10, 12x15, etc.

Keep in mind that various aspect ratios have different *aesthetic* properties which you'll want to consider in addition to consideration of image content. For example, unless the image content really demands it, I tend to avoid 2x3 in "portrait" orientation because they feel a bit "tipsy" to me.

Finally, remember that every crop reduces resolution and thus restricts the size at which you can print with acceptable quality. There are a number of photos which look great my pnet portfolio but which couldn't be printed any larger than a postage stamp because I've thrown so many pixels away.

Oh thank you. I shot in RAW on a K10. You see, I am giving my friends a cd of the pictures I have edited and they are going to order prints for themselves. So yes, I am concerned with the final product they receive. In some instance I am cropping to get a tighter shot or exclude something that's unseemly. In some of the pictures the bride has a particular look on her face that I want to get, but not what is around her. (Same composition as the photo I posted in the thread, 'problems with wedding photos.) These are the ones that I accidentally shot in 1600! Grrrr. What a dope!

So, would you suggest I make it clear what sizes they should print the photos in? I'm thinking of recommending that they print them at the local Shutterbug because they are more careful of what they do and how they do it, rather than just letting them do it at Wal~Mart. I guess this is a good reason to offer prints through me, eh?

OK - darlene - since you are cropping for asthetics (I was concerned you were actually

cropping to size. THAT is a whole other matter)....

DO NOT JUST CROP to the framing you want - which has been my habit in the past. You

need to pick a ratio and crop ALL the photos to that ratio. What you & the bride need to

realize is that walmart, etc do not care about the framing. They just load and print. If you

crop everything w/ a 4x6 ratio, which is what you've shot in, just be aware that an 8x10

(and the 5x7, but in different ways) will get everything on the 8 side, but will lose frame

on the 10 side (clear as mud?)

If you crop things to a 5x7 ratio, when an 8x10 is printed, there will be loss from the 10

side. That is, if you've shot something horizontal, and the heads are very close to the top

of the frame, they WILL be cut off.

I suggest you choose a ratio that allows for the framing closest to what you desire, and be

sure to crop EVERY SINGLE shot to match this ratio. have fun!! (ok, that was sarcastic)

Many labs will have a kiosk where the customer can order their prints. Usually they will

give a crop preview so that you know what you are going to loose with different

cropping/sizes, and give the opportunity to scoot one way or the other.

The 5x7 crop rule I gave Maria is because I specifically had here shoot loose because we

were shooting to print 8x10s on site.

She HAD to crop the images because many were shot loose enough that there was

significant image area off the backdrop. Some she didn't shoot loose enough for an

8x10, so 5x7 proportion was a happy medium where you just loose a little one way or the

other when ordering more square or rectangular format.

FWIW: I've had enlargements from K10D images that resulted in the printed image being

less than 130 pixels per inch and they looked great...

I was going to suggest that they go to the local shutterbug rather than walmart or walgreens. The manager at the Shutterbug said that they make sure the pictures don't get cropped wrong.

Thanks for clearing things up for me in this area. I have been horrible at printing pictures since I went digital! I never lost heads with film!