Workflow post "taking"

monochromekx

So, having taken print processors out of the imaging business (read Kodak) I am

realizing my worst fear re: DSLR's - the processing workflow. I just knew I

would get to a point where there was more to buy than just lenses and the camera

body. I have to invest money and do work that Kodak did before. This is a

blessing from a cash flow standpoint (and a curse - from a capital

standpoint).<p>Here is what I am doing. <p>Your assistance please ><p>

<ul>

<li>Shoot Raw</li>

<li>Transfer PEF files to computer (Win2K OpSys)</li>

<li>Open folder in PhotoBrowser and individually open files in PhotoLab</li>

<li>do simple processing (curves)</li>

<li>save as highest quality JPEG</li>

<li>open file in Photoshop Elements</li>

<li>process further as desired and save as JPEG</li>

</ul><p>To upgraade to Elements 6 I need to upgrade my OpSys to Win2K Pro. If I

do that, can I open PEF files native in Elements? Can I use GIMP or something

else?<p>To upgrade to full Photoshop and open PEF's native I need to buy a new

computer ($2000 plus software) - not going to happen soon.<p>Is there a complete

resource such as a book that will give ALL the steps from lens-cap-off to

published image? (Something like the old software namuals when nobody knew how t

use a computer)?

Just some comments ...

The step between curves and PS-Elements. Save the images in TIF instead of JPG. JPG is lossy (even in the highest quality).

If you want to use PS-Elements-6, an upgare to Win2K isn't good enough. On WIn2K the last PS-Elemts version that runs is PS-Elements-3. To use any higher version of PS-Elements, you need Win-XP (or Vista).

If you can open your PEF files directly in PS-Elements depends mainly on the version of PS-Elements. Version 3 can update the ACR (Adobe camera Raw) module up to version 3.6. PS-Elements-6 can use the latest version of ACR (4.3.1). Have a look on Adobes webpages to see which version of ACR is needed to support your camera.

You can use GIMP instead of PS-Elements, but GIMP itself has no support for RAW files. But you can use dcraw and ufraw for that. I personally like GIMP, but prefer PS-Elements for PS-Elements has a certain amount of 16-bit support (which is a good thing if you process raw files).

@Rainer - thanks - I meant to say upgrade to WinXP Pro. I have a client/server network with 9 nodes running Server 2003 on the server.<p>Learning what will work on systems (and what won't), choosing software, designing the workflow, operating batches and upgrading hardware to make it all hang together is what I was afraid of - seems I was right and why I curse the digital revolution for taking image processors out of the production line.<p>I kept Win2K on this machine because it is stable as configured. All the others have WinXP Pro. I know many people who are downrating from Vista back to XP due to scanner, printer and other issues - same reason I kept Win2K on this machine.

I just use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. It streamlines all the post-processing for you in one easy to use application program. It converts PEF raw files into Adobe digital negative files and then has very easy to use User Interface where I can rank, flag, and color-code files, "develop" them in the "lightroom". You can do all kinds of edits (such as white balance changes, curve changes, saturation/hue/contrast/exposure/etc) extremely quickly. You can even create "virtual copies" and export to Photoshop CS to do your photoshopping. Lightroom very easily export to web, email, or printing (in high-resolution), and adds in copyright watermark for you. This programs fits 100% of my needs, and I cannot imagine working without it.

I'll be the second (of many, i'm sure) to recommend Lightroom. I'd also agree that you need to update to Windows XP (or get a mac!)<P>

my workflow:<P>

1. shoot in RAW (with *ist DL)<BR>

2. transfer files onto my HD and import into Lightroom<BR>

3. crop, sharpen, curves, exposure, etc. adjustment in Lightroom<BR>

4. back up the keepers to my external HD<BR>

5. export in highest quality JPEG as needed for printing or posting on facebook, flickr, etc.

@Adam - thanks for the response - I begin to see a pattern to this advice.<p>I will, though, counter that my original lament was that there is more to this than fighting just LBA - it is really EBA (EVERYTHING buying addiction).<p>Original idea: Get a K10D at the end of the product cycle for $645 and use my K-lenses from my KX and ME Super.<p>Current reality:

<ul>

<li>K10d -> $645</li>

<li>FA50/1.4 (before they are all gone) -> $200</li>

<li>FA35/2 (before they are all gone) -> $300</li>

<li>DA50~200/4~5.6 -> $155 NIB (too good a deal to pass up)</li>

<li>XP Pro upgrade -> $189 (plus whatever it costs to have my computer guy come over and clean up the mess I make)</li>

<li>Adobe Lightroom -> $399 (I think)</li>

<li>Oh what the heck MacPro -> $2999</li>

<li>Well, I'm this far into it Trinitron CRT -> $400</li>

<li>Better get 2 Trinitrons before they are all gone -> $400</li>

<li>Nikon or DiMage scanner -> $afraid to ask</li>

<li>Epson Printer -> $ Really, honey, I can sell these!!</i>

<li>And so I need FA31/1.8 - FA43/1.9 - FA77/1.8 -> $ OMG</li>

<li>Gee that 67II looks pretty neat</li></ul>

<p>What have I done?

Ok, I just looked - non-acad - price is $199. academic is $99.

and here are the system requirements to see if you can put it on your system or not:

Macintosh

Mac OS X v.10.4

PowerPC G4 or G5 1GHz processor or Intel Core Duo processor

768MB of RAM (1GB recommended)

1GB of available hard-disk space

1,024x768 screen resolution

CD-ROM drive

Windows

Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium 4 processor

768MB of RAM (1GB recommended)

1GB of available hard-disk space

1,024x768 screen resolution

CD-ROM drive

aren't student discounts wonderful, rose? makes me happy i've chosen teaching as my main trade. academic discounts for life! yipee!!

<P>

Paul: i know exactly how you feel with the EBA. i'd be happy if i could get through this summer with enough $$ to get a:<BR> sigma 10-20mm<BR> DA* 16-50mm or sigma 17-70mm<BR>K20D<BR>K10D (because everyone needs a backup!)<BR>flash gun<BR>second flash gun (because everyone needs a backup!)<BR>DA* 50-135<BR>all the limited lenses<BR>monopod<BR>computer and HD monitor<BR>Adobe CS3<BR>appel ipod<BR>Nikon D3 and fast nikkor 50mm (just to see what it can do)<P>hopefully my wiser side will remind me not to spend all my money and save it for my trip to Africa.<P>

and hopefully reality will remind me that I'll never make enough in a summer to fund all of that ;)