Long exposures with Pentax 6x7

scott_russell2

So I was wondering how long exposures (4-30 seconds) perform on this camera due

to the shutter vibration issue. I can hold my hand down on the top of the camera

while shooting a normal 1/60th-1 second exposure to keep the camera still, but i

think leaning my body weight on a camera for 4 to 30 seconds would do more

damage than good to the steadiness of the shot. Would it be better to fire long

exposures without the aid of my body weight? The vibrations of the shutter

opening and closing are so short in comparison to a long exposure, that i wonder

if its even a problem. any thoughts?

For that long of an exposureon the Pentax 67 I use a manual external shutter.

Set shutter to B or T(if your version has it). Hold hat infront of lens as not to let any light through. Open shutter. Remove hat and count or use stop watch. Cover front of lens again and close shutter.

4-30 seconds is long enough that any camera induced vibration is a non-issue. Use a locking cable release or the hat-trick already mentioned.

The only thing to worry about with any camera and exposures this long would be camera or tripod movement due to outside forces like wind, bumping camera or tripod accidently, etc.

In 15 years of using a Pentax 67 and 67II, long exposures were never an issue. I routinely

used exposures from 30 to 90 seconds. As has been well-documented here, the real trouble

spots for the shutter vibration issue are in the range of 1/4 to 1 second. Anything longer and

it seems to be a non-issue, at least in my experience.