Hypothetical situation on S5IS vs a good DSLR?

When I originally came to this site I was prepared to get the Canon S6IS (when

it comes out). I estimate it will cost about $550.00 at first, then one year

later it will be worth $200.00 at most.

After asking questions here and reading a heck of a lot of posts, you guys are

starting to sway me towards a DSLR type camera. However I don't want to spend a

fortune because I don't have it to spare. Also, I have no idea if it will be

obsolete in a year (therefore this post).

What is a really good Canon setup new or used with out to 300 zoom. I don't

want something like a Nikon D40 with limited lens availability and I want a

Canon that won't be lens obsolete in a couple of years, meaning you won't be

able to buy a lens for it. What kind of price would we be talking about for

this kind of setup?

I know it is hard question to answer, just do the best you can?

I'm considering selling some things to gain the necessary funds if necessary

but I need to have a good understanding of prices and where I'm heading.

Thank you.

Lola, if in doubt buy the S6IS. Although I'm primarily a DSLR user myself I have seen people taking really nice pictures with an S5IS. In that case you don't have to bother with all these extra accesories. Just use the thing and enjoy photogaphy. If it really catches you start saving for a DSLR.

Financial restrictions caused me to buy my first pro-sumer, a Nikon 5700, some years back and over the years it became a little slow compared to subsequent cameras I purchased and it didn't have OIS. But I still enjoyed working with it and delighted in the quality images it gave me.

I agree with Jos to learn to use it to its full extent and enjoy working with it.

All cameras have their good points and failings but I found none which affected the type of photography that I do with the 5700 and subsequent prosumers I currently mainly use.

You will find the S[n] IS series a very competant and versatile tool giving you more bang for your buck. I chose Panasonic some time ago but the Canon was close behind.

Neither the Nikon nor the Canon SLR's will be lens obsolete in a few years. Also, unless you have older Nikon lenses the D40 won't feel limited either. All the newer lenses that you would probably consider will work fine on it. I would try to get my hands on all the cameras you are considering and see which one feels right for you. I like the Canon point and shoots best among point and shoots, but prefer the Nikon SLRs for ergonomics. The SLR image quality will be better than the S6IS. But it will be bigger, won't shoot movies, probably won't have a single lens that covers a 12x range. It will shoot respond much quicker in focus and shutter actuation. I have an S3IS and D300. Both have their uses. In your case I would just get an S5IS and put the savings over the S6 towards something else.

Just one comment about "obsolete in a year".

Every camera you buy now will be "obsolete" in a year. But every camera will still take pictures just as nice as the day you bought it.

My old 10D is definitely obsolete, but it still takes great pictures. With the advances that have been made, there are very good cameras in the "used" category now, that will take very good images for a long time yet, and cost less than an S6IS.

Obsolete does not mean it doesn't work.

To second what Larry said but put it another way: I subscribe to a photo publication called LensWork. Comes out quarterly, has little to no equipment reviews, just several black & white portfolios each issue. To me, they're almost always great photographs - beautiful, sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes emotional. All kinds of subjects, from architecture to people to junk cars. In my opinion, it's REALLY good photography. On the first page of each portfolio, it lists a little about the photographer and what equipment he/she uses. One of my favorites, a few issues back, was a portfolio by a guy who uses nothing but a Konica rangefinder and ONE 50mm lens. For the ones who use digital, it's frequently something as old as a Canon 10D. So, should we say that their work is not good photography because the Konica and the 10D are "obsolete"? Of course not. How ridiculous.

As the saying goes - in photography and pretty much everything else - "It ain't the sword, it's the swordsman".

As others have pointed out, don't worry about "obsolescence" too much. Last month I shot with years old 10D and 300D and they performed just fine. I also enjoy my Canon FD gear which is definitely obsolete and some of it older than me. ;)

LG: "The SLR image quality will be better than the S6IS. But it will be bigger, won't shoot movies, probably won't have a single lens that covers a 12x range."

Nikon D40/D40X/D60 + 18-200 VR is the closest you'll get with a single lens. D40 body is actually pretty close in size to Canon S5 IS, neither is really what I'd call pocketable. But that VR lens costs more than the camera kit and it's big.

Nikon D40 lens availability is limited only if you want to shoot with fast primes and have working autofocus and even then there are the Sigma 30/1.4 HSM and 50/1.4 HSM. If you just want a nice zoom or two this is not a problem.

How about Pentax K100D Super kit and Sigma 70-300 APO macro? Not terribly expensive and you'll get in-built image stabilization and the same "zoom range" as with Canon S5/6 IS. You'll have to change lenses, but that's life with dSLRs if you need that kind of reach.

Do you shoot in low light much? If yes, then there's no contest between small sensor dSLR-like and actual dSLR. Bigger sensor wins in every way when you raise the ISO to 400 (above 400 every small sensor just dies painfully and many die at 400, depending on what kind of image quality you accept). Bigger flash units are also a "size does matter" thing (+ huge bonus from bounce capability).

But... Canon S5/6 has a good zoom in small package, it does video and all small sensor cameras are very good at close-up photography and if you want even closer (or perhaps wider angle) there are accessories for that too. If you shoot mostly in good/moderate light there should be no problem.

But... That Pentax set for example comes surprisingly close in price compared to S6.

Yes, very helpful, I know. ;)

Hi Lola, I am very new to photography. I bought my first digital camera, a Canon S2 IS (an earlier version of the Canon S5)an year ago for a trip to India. I took great pictures with the camera. It is an excellent camera to start on photography. But after an year with a DSL-Like camera I decided to upgrade to a DLS. It took me a few months asking and researching and finally I bought a Oly E510 with the 2 lens kit plus a Zuiko 70-300mmm for the same price that I would have bought a Canon XTi or a Nikon D80 with one not so good lens.

I am taking photography classes and EVERYBODY in my class has either a Canon or a Nikon. The teacher and all my classmates suggested me to buy one of these two brands. Well, I'll tell you why I decided to go for the Oly and upgrade from a DSL-Like to a DSL. Basically the DSL shoots much faster than the DSL-like. It focus faster with almost no shutter lag. The DSL-like has much more noise over ISO 200 than a DSL.

Finally I decided not to go with canon or nikon because as I said, for the same price I got a very light camera with 3 very good light lens.

My first photography class with my new camera impressed the teacher and the classsmates. We need to print our pics and enlarge them by 12X18 to present in class. The image quality of the Oly camera is as good as the canon and nikon ones, but I got a much lighter equipment with lots of more features for less the price.I suggest you to look this website http://www.wrotniak.net to have a review with the camera and some images sample.

If you shoot indoor or action photos don't go for the DSL-Like. My canon S2 just take good outdoor pics, for indoor you need to use flash or go for a high ISO which shows lots of noise, and most of the pics come out blurred.

I hope this helps.

Lena Albertini, I really liked the link you gave me. I've been to "ALL" the places mentioned in NC, and Maryland. That dude was absolutely correct on the restaurants.

Moon pictures were awesome!

The rest of you guys have provided some awesome information I sincerely believe, with honesty! Rare commodity on the Internet. You have all said basically the same thing in different ways and I am extremely grateful to all of you for sharing your expertise.

So my plan now is to find a good S3/S5 and forget about waiting for the next "best S#IS witch will probably be a S6. However after thinking things over, relative to what everyone has said, I doubt if one does come out it will be anything earth shattering anyway, that would intrude to much into the DSLR territory, and I don't think marketing will let that happen.

I'm not really interested in the movie taking, if it has it great, but it doesn't go to the top of my list if you know what I mean.

Doing "it" this way I can keep an eye out for a really great DSLR with lenses and everything (The Good Stuff), not that I really know what exactly the really good stuff is yet!

In my area there are some very rich people one day who are broke and selling everything the next, I could tell you stories that would break your heart!

Thanks to all, now to find a really good S3/S5. I don't even know enough about them to really talk in an informed manner. I do know the S5 has a hot shoe, but that seems to really be about it at least in my limited knowledge. The lenses and associated noise levels seem to be the same. However a lot of S3 users seem to think it takes better pictures than a S5, but that seems rather strange to me since I doubt seriously if Canon changed lens. I have a feeling it might be the S3 users have had them longer and know how to use them, but what do I know.