best landscape lenses for M8 (no w.a.)

ymages

"<I>resolution is far higher than M8</I>"

<P>

Pixel count is not the same as resolution. For example the resolution of the 10MP Leica DMR is about the same as the 16MP Canon 1DsII. Pixel count only matters to camera salesmen when talking to gullible prospective customers.

Douglas, Leica doesn't just suffer low pixel count and color problems (on top of rangefinder quality control and engineering issues)...its noise at high ei eats detail resolution. The top prosumer Nikons, Canons, Sony, Pentax blow it away at 1600. DMR is irrelevant, as is 1DsII. The full frame Sony will underline the point. Money can't buy you love, but it can still buy red dots.

colour problems? could you elaborate?

i shoot an m8 and a few other pieces of gear daily in a studio and the awb seems to be damn

good as of the last firmware update. setting it manually is about as easy as it gets.

it's interesting, the internet "problems" the m8 faces don't really seem to bother the folks

who use them. as far as being hindered by a low pixel count... wow, you really need to

actually try one out. maybe produce a print or two.

So John, I guess you're a camera salesman ;-)

<P>

The DMR and 1DsII are entirely relevant because comparing the pictures made with these two cameras illustrates how weak the correlation is between pixel count and resolution. As Jon Butterwick mentioned, you ought to try the M8 and even take some pictures with it.

If you are after an orthoscopic lens under 50mm focal lenght from Leica, you better refer to the Leica website, all technical datas for each lens built by this brand are precisely described. And there are NO orthoscopic lenses on that website. Due to what you expect, you better think about the Hasselblad XPan.

By the way, your title is obvious : asking advices for a lens devoted to landscapes on M8, it further appears that your wishes are turned to a lens that fits with a FF M9 : something wrong, this camera doesn't exist, and will not until some few years, as said by new Leica CEO.

Cheers.