Battle of Gettysburg

todd_phillips3

When I was in the states last, I saw a re-enactment. Good shots! Reminds me of that time...always something wierd about modern photos of old stuff (that's meant to be 'as-it-was') but a lot of these don't jar in the way I'm used to. Well Done!

Nice shots! I intend to take a longer look at them when I have time. I was surprised when I realized that this was the event at Prado. I am a CW reenactor and a member of 6th US, Co. G which took part in this reenactment. Alas, I did not attend the event this year. Rather ironic in that my immersion into photograhy has left me much less time for Civil War reenacting. I will peruse your shots more carefully...I may see some familiar faces.

Thanks for sharing these.

I have friends who live pretty near Gettysburg. I visit them at least once or twice, and always include Gettysburg in my travels. Todd, your photos are terrific!! I suggest trying switching some to B&W as an alternative, giving them a period look.

I have seen many reinactments and demonstrations by various military units encamped there over the years, and always look forward to more. The reinactors know a lot and take their training very seriously. They do a phenominal job! So far, nearly all my pics are on film.

Thanks Michael! Yeah, there are some B&W in there, and I plan to go back and do more creative edit attempts. I edited all of these last week en mass to get them out quickly to the friend who invited me because they are gatheing photos for their group DVD, and I ended up pretty burned out on the project, but I definitely intend to go back through and pick my faves and work on some more detailed PP..

Thanks, I quite like yours, too. The trouble with 18th c warfare is that the battle re-enactments are lines of troops firing at one another across a field, so not so nice and dynamic as your Gettysburg shots are.

This picture from Fort de Chartres on the Mississippi is about as 'action' as they usually get. Not so many Civil War battles here in Illinois.<div>00P9se-42901084.jpg.6aeab60a347485efa4e4b9fbb4249764.jpg</div>

Wow that's perfect! I kept trying to catch a firing like that but didn't manage. Fun trying though! ;-)

This experience for me definitely made me wish I had gone to at least one more of the other three battles of the weekend. My friend said this Gettysburg was the least amount of action/movement of all of the four... Although I don't know if he was referring to the battles themselves or just for his individual assignments in the battles..

Todd:

Are there, in fact multiple re-enactments of the Civil War in/around Gettysburg? Your pictures are from April, it seems to me that I recall the big re-enactment is in early July, in fact I thought it was around the July 04 weekend. It seems to me that the last itme I was down, I was told that the re-enactment is not allowed on the battlefield itself.

I was intending to head down this year. Any information welcome.

LGH

This reenactment was held in Chino, Ca. The Battle of Gettysburg that I took photos of was just one of four battle reenactments held there over the weekend. It was my first visit to a reenactment, and I am not very well informed on the reenactment scene. My friend told me of some reenactments coming up in the Southern Cal area this spring and summer, but I don't recall exactly when and where. I bet there are reenactments near the actual Gettysburg too, but wouldn't have a clue where to get that information.