40D accidental button pressing

JeffOwen

Does anyone else have the same problem that I am having? When walking with the

camera hanging from the neck strap I keep finding that the LCD screen is on

showing a menu or the like (usually the info screen). I realised that what was

happening was with a lens attached (any lens) the camera tilts down slightly and

this makes the four buttons under the LCD screen very vulnerable to being pressed.

So far I don't think anything serious has happened other than keeping the screen

on and wasting battery life, but I find it annoying and wonder if others have

found the same problem and know of an easy solution.

Hi Jeff, I have a very heavy camera (1Ds2) and I usually don't keep it around my neck

(especially with a heavy lens like the 70-200 f/2.8L IS); instead I got one of these:

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/ and keep it slung over my shoulder. If I carried that

combination around my neck, I'd be bent over like Quasi Modo in no time.

The strap really does work in terms of the non-slip aspect. I'm not sure if this will help the

underlying issue of inadvertent button-pressing but I suspect it might, since the camera

would no-longer be pressed up against your stomach when you're carrying it. Mine

usually tilts downwards, so the back isn't in contact with much of anything. This might

allow you to leave it on too. Good luck!

Just got onto a habit of turnin off. how much diff in a wake up to a start up? bit o practise its ready by the time you have it to the eye. BTW my other half keeps asking when I`m shortening the verandah but it keeps the feet cool :)

Hi Jeff, <br><br>I found that I have the same problem with the 40D since the upgrade from the 20D. <br><br>With the 20D, when the camera goes to sleep, you have to half-press the shutter to wake it up, any other button won't do. Whereas with the 40D, Canon fixes it so that pressing any button will wake the camera up. I think they got it wrong here. <br><br> I would love to turn this option into a custom function, something like: wake your camera up by (a) shutter button only, (b) anyother button

<br><br>

Quynh.

Yeah, 40D has very touchy buttons. I can't help you but I have the same problems (it doesn't happen with 1D2/3) when I carry it on my shoulder with a light lens, such as 50/1.4: a heavier lens - 35/1.4, 24-105, 24-70, etc. - will weight the front of the camera down and keep the buttons away from my hip. It does drive me nuts but there is no remedy other than turning the camera off: a "lock all buttons" button under the thumb would be nice. Until that happens, I simply carry the camera in my hand or in a holster case (a modified ThinkTank holster.)

I do not have the same problem that you describe, but being on a 3 month trip around India and Nepal, i have made a habit of carying the 40D 'the other way round', when it is hanging from my shoulder...the flash and upside of the lens is touching the side of my body. So with heavy and/or long lenses like my 17-55 or 70-200, the lens is not pointing away from me, but clings more to the shape of my body.

Maybe this does not help you, but turning off the camera between shots is not something i find good for the street photography i am doing here.

Carry the camera on your shoulder with the lens pointed in and the back out. This is usually more comfortable since a big lens sort of nestles in front of your side. Carry it in your hand with the strap around your wrist when you are going to use it. Good luck!

I've used a 40D for 6 months without any such problems. Of course I do daily sit-ups and

crunches so maybe there's less pressure on the buttons. Or maybe it's the BG-E2 blocking

the buttons.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Yes I have the same problem. My thing is that my menu is usually on 'FORMAT' (because I

make sure I have a clean card before I start shooting) I shoot with 2 cameras and many times

I pull a hanging camera up to my eye I notice the menu is on and the format option is right

there- YIKES! can you imagine re-formatting a wedding! I make it a point to put the menu on

something that will not effect the images before I let them hang. I agree with you 100%

though, I think they screwed up on that one.

There's a better strap that solves this problem and the slip off problem quite nicely from Blackrapid.The RS-1. See the video demo on their website Blackrapid.com. I use it with my 40D with 100-400 and better beamer attached, and it prevents accidental button pushing, the camera is vastly more secure, doesn't hang off my neck or shoulder and is instantly accessible. I tried one, with the caveat from the seller that it might not work with such a big lens, and was so pleased that I immeditely bought one for my wife who will be carrying a 30D with a short tele.

I think I am going to make a stick-on raised bevel to go around these 4 buttons so as to make then more recessed. The problem will be to make it so it looks good. I will try it first with Plexiglass (Perspex).

Thanks for all your comments, it's interesting to find that others have found the same problem.