The Best B & W enlarger

alan_higgins

Hi guys

Been out of the darkroom for about 7 years now, but would like to stock up

again. I would like to purchase a pro enlarger, but don't know which one.

What I need is 6 x 6 neg carrier to print to 20 x 16 max. I used to use axomat

and opemus 6 enlargers but gave them away several years ago. Incidently I

would like to print off wedding photographs. So can anyone tell me what the

absolute best on the market is or what they might recommend?

Big thanks

Alan

beseler 23C -let me tell you why -it works.

That is much better than one that doesn't work, mind you.

Personally, the enlarger just like the camera BODY does not make a difference in a picture. However the 23C is crazy durable and nice to work with. My school has an army of them plus a bigger beseler for 4x5 work.

at home a use a vivitar 356 dichro for color (why? because it's affordable. which is better, a good enlarger you cannot afford and therefore do not have, or a bad one which you can?)

Lens makes a lot of difference, although it's hard to find a **bad** enlarger lens.

I got a Besseler 23cII XL with a color head and it's a beast, i got a 16x20 easel that works like a charm, have not used it in a while so im thinking of selling all of my equipment. If your interested let me know, ill hook you up with lots of gear.

Aloha Alan!

"Absolute best" is a pretty subjective thought. If it were that definable, a lot of

competition would have gone out of business. Your best might be my rejection and

everyone seems to have a favorite. I would check around in your area for darkrooms

downsizing or simply blinking out of existence. I got my beloved Omega B8 for free long

with 6 B22s from a commercial darkroom downsizing. ( Now I am trying to find homes for

the 22s! ) All came with cold lights or color heads and "XL" rails to go big on the easel. I

have had "bad" enlarger lenses so I feel they do matter. I found a Nikkor 75mm for cheap

and now know why. This is one area where great equipment can be had for very little for

obvious reasons. Save some from the trash heap! You might be like me and have several to

choose from.

Nick