Which sensor cleaning set should I buy (don't want to damage coatings)?

j_smith6

I need to clean the sensor and I remember that I read somewhere on photo.net

that not every sensor cleaning fluid is proper for every sensor because of

different coatings. I also remeber that somebody damaged the sensor filter in

his camera because he used wrong fluid. Of course I don't want to damage

coatings on sensor filter after a day of using a camera so it's better to

ask... :)

<br><br>

That's pretty dirty as for a new camera. I haven't tried to blow it off yet but

I guess blowing isn't going to be strong enough to get rid of it.

<br>

<a href="http://img202.imagevenue.com/

img.php?image=93687_IMG_0550_122_20lo.jpg">http://img202.imagevenue.com/

img.php?image=93687_IMG_0550_122_20lo.jpg</a>

<br><br>

What do you think about "green clean wet&dry swabs"?<br>

<a href="http://www.pictureline.com/products/12850/Green_Clean_Wet_&_Dry_Swab_-

_2_Pack/">http://www.pictureline.com/products/12850/Green_Clean_Wet_&_Dry_Swab_-

_2_Pack/</a>

I would still try blowing first, it just might work and is no labor or cost and not as risky as the other ways. I have had good luck with blowing and have never had to do anything else to my 20D, 5D or my newer 40D which has not needed cleaning, and I turned the shaker off.

Have a good one. .JoeR. .

Speaking as one who HAS damaged a low pass filter--the thing you're actually cleaning--I recommend that whichever cleaner you select, that

you do not get carried away with applying excessive pressure to the cleaning swab. It's plastic, and it will scratch, and you WILL see it. A viewing device of some type is very helpful. A couple on the market. You really can't clean what you can't see. Another quick note. Junk is far more visible on FF sensors than cropped. I surely hope that any new 5D units have some type of sensor cleaning gimmick.

Some here say they don't really do anything. I have found far less problems with my 40D than the 20D. Maybe their cleaning deal, or maybe now I'm just a little more careful. It can be a frustrating.

Not knowing your camera the answer is not straight forward. However I have the Visible Dust brush and it is *excellent*. Earlier today I posted a result from my 40D's built-in, mechanical sensor cleaning. I tested it, had nothing to lose, and am happy with the results (meaning I didn't have to break out the Dust Brush and poke inside the camera).

INVHO....

I would agree Ken Papai, the visible Dust system is as good as it gets as far as general cleaning is concerned. When it comes to "having to" use more aggressive tecniques then all sorts of opinions come to light. Canon say don't touch the sensor at all, well, bearing in mind its the low pass filter that you'll be cleaning, its a fair bet that you won't be attacking the sensor, (The helpdesk man at Canon didn't know what to say when I mentioned that fact).But do take care if it becomes necessary, I use Visible dust swabs with Eclipse II fluid, but I have found that the swabs do shed fibres.

So , back to the point, Spend as much as you can on the visible dust Artic Butterfly Brush and then treat it with as much care and attention as you would your camera, believe me it'll be worth it.

Just my opinion of course.

I use a combination of a Giottos Rocket Blower and the LensPen DigiClear system sold by Arthur Morris at www.birdsasart.com. I tried the Copperhill wet cleaning method, but found the swabs they use to be too bulky for accurate cleaning, at least for my fingers. With the LensPens, I get virtually 100% of the dust spots, but I still keep the wet cleaning supplies on hand in case I get anything too stubborn for the LensPens. I also use Visible Dust's Sensor Loupe to be able to see the dust directly on the sensor filter. That greatly increases my confidence level when trying to see what is actually happening to the sensor when I am cleaning it.

I hope this helps.

Joel

Thank you all for hints. I used a blower and it didn't help much. I have just decided that I'll start to worry about it if I'm going to see spots at macro shots at f/13. After all... that's just some dust which is hardly visible. If spots will start to bother me I'll clean the low-pass filter with techniques you have described.