I'm going to require a fast zoom lense for the catwalk photos that I'll be

taking (plus this will help with everything else that I'm shooting)and can't

afford the flag ship 18-50 2.8 Nikon.

My issue is price primarily, but also the digital crop will be an issue when I

select my lense.

I'm looking for 28-70mm lense 2.8 lense, but I don't know what lenses change

with the crop and which ones do.

Can you help?

First off, save your money and get the lens you really want/need. If you don't you will be unhappy and you may end wasting money if ungrade later. Buy nikon! (better quality and better resale). You just spent a bunch of money for a great camera. Why put cheap glass on it? The glass IS the most important part.

Nikon's crop factor is 1.5. So 100mm on film or FX is 150mm on DX.

Personally I would get 24-70/2.8(new hard to find), the older but still great 28-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8. If you have to get the 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. The focus is reasonably fast, but you are giving up some aperture. Or get a prime or two cheaper and fast, but no zoom.

Good luck

If money if the issue, buy used glass rather than buying cheap new glass. Most people here would recommend www.keh.com. Even their bargain lenses are in very good condition. You can sell tham later for almost the price you paid, or sometimes even make a profit.

Chris,

I use both lenses in my cameras: the Nikkot 17-55 f2,8 and the Tamron 17-50 f2,8. The optics quality is the same in 99% of situations, the Nikkor is better built and is a lens for hard work and surely will last more. But, as you said, price is important, I would recommend you the Tamron.

What I should add (that'll make a little more sense) is that I'm looking for a lense that will always give me a 24-70 focal lenght range and a 2.8 aperture.

My concern is that with the 18-50mm and the 28-70mms lenses is that I don't know which model will become a eg 42-105mm or a 27-75mm.

I've been to www.photozone.de that has awesome details on all lenses but some aspects of the site aren't specific with exact focal lengths...

But thankyou all for your help

Chris, sounds like you don't quite understand the crop factor thing. The focal length doesn't change when you mount a lens on a camera with a smaller than 'full frame' sensor, it's always what it says on the barrel. If you want a lens for the D300 that gives you the same angle of view as a 28-70 on a 35mm camera (or on the 'full frame' D3), you need a lens that covers a range of about 18-50mm. Here's one quite good explanation:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Field-of-View-Crop-Factor.aspx

The D300 has a 1.5x crop factor, so you can look at ANY lens on photozone and multiply the focal length by 1.5 to see what the 35mm (or FX) equivalent would be. It doesn't matter if it's a DX or FX lens (both will work with the D300) - the crop factor is the same. The DX lenses, however, won't cover a full 35mm frame or a DX sensor, so they're only (generally) suitable for DX cameras.