Please critique my first real session

marc_matteo

OK. I am trying to get a grip on portrait work. It is pretty complicated stuff. Anyway, please check out

my first shoot. Go to www.premierweddings.tv. Enter through the weddings button. Click on proofing

and enter cohen as the password. I went a little heavy on the effects due to my subjects complexion.

Please critique lighting, composition, and whether I achieved appropriate mood. Thank you

First two complaints: please don't make your website open a new full-screen window, it really messes up my desktop. Also, I would have appreciated it if you mentioned that it was in underwear and one shot was topless - its not exactly safe for work (I thought these were wedding shots). She wasn't smiling in any photos you posted, and she looked pretty uncomfortable. Is this client a friend of yours, or a stranger?

That said, I think you did a good job making flattering pictures. I imagine she'll be really happy with them. Were these specifically designed as boudoir shots?

I don't think the "effects" were too much at all; it doesn't look perfectly natural, but it looks attractive and you left enough skin texture that it doesn't cross the line into mannequin.

I think you might want to cut out a few of the near-duplicate shots, though. It got a little repetitive with the same location (bed), same expression, same outfit, same lighting, etc. The session probably would have benefited from a little more excitement or attitude, or a few more props or different angles. How about having her holding up a sheer scarf or sheet? Or maybe an outfit change? Something I like to do in portraits is tell clients that for the first few shots I'm just testing my flash - I find that often times they'll be smiling or sitting naturally while I'm "testing" and I get a few really great expressions that they don't offer when its "for real"-- people get nervous, and its nice to have little tricks to coax their natural selves out!

Sorry about that. I forgot to mention they were on the boudoir side. She is a friend so it

was a little weird doing them for me and her. I am trying to balance posing, lighting, and

composition. Welcome to the world of portraits I guess. But thanks for your insight

lol.. that wasn't like any wedding I'VE ever shot... :)

I liked a lot of them though...

In terms of the complexion... get yourself a container of a product called Photofinish from Smashbox. It goes on BEFORE the foundation and does a great job of smoothing out complexions... and really minimizes the amount of PP smoothing you have to do!

First, congrats on your first session. I would think it was a success as the photos are very

well done. The only issue I see is the complete lack of expression in her face. For me it was

very distracting until I hit #13 when there was finally some life to her face. Personally, I

thought #19 had the best facial expression of them all, while she was very serious...there is a

hint of something interesting behind her eyes.

Just my 2 cents...again...great job.

RJL

Marc, not bad for a first session. I think expression is key. The effects can't make a person look excited to be in the shoot. Maybe a little more background blurring. The only two locations for the eyes were into the camera and down. Sometimes, when you have the subject look away from the camera (left or right) it creates a sense of need and also mystery. Also, if your subject is more relaxed, the contrast will change and lend itself to a softer picture which is good for these type of shoots. Hope this helps.

Overall nice shoot. However I have to agree that she may needed to do some more facial expressions and proably looking towards another direction. I recently did my own shooting and i was faced with the same problem. But this is something that the model need to do. Like I said Nice pics!

Impressive! But as others have stated, she was a bit uptight. You two could work on that the next shoot.

Just a matter of taste here. I thought the lighting was just a tad flat. But I prefer a bit more contrast than some across the board.

I would like to see what you'd get working with a pro model. I'm sure it would be great.

Better makeup would have made a world of difference. And having a good perky makeup

artist there can liven up the shoot, make the model feel way more comfortable, in addition

to knowing how to hide flaws with makeup.

I also agree on all the comments about expression, her expression sucks the sexy out.

And I would have a fair bit more contrast which would have helped with the lines on her

face and added some drama, but I'm a freak for contrast-y pictures.

The poses are nice, the cropping is good.

More light and more energy and you've got some fantastic shots.