what make and/or models of old, american made, cameras have collectible value?

I'm no expert but just about anything that Walter Teague put his hand to, like the Beau Brownies, the Bantam special and the beautiful Super Kodak 620. The special versions of the Brownies, such as the Boy Scouts and world trade fair etc. seem to fetch big prices on the collectors market.

I once looked at a Ansco TLR, can't remember what it was called, but recall that it was beautifully built in what looked like stainless steel.

Tony

Look at Gene M's postings, and you will see that just about anything is collectible and why that is so.

You need to pick up a copy of one of the guides to collectible cameras. There are dozens and your public library should be able to help you. There are hundreds of collectible American-made cameras.

Valuable American cameras include the Kodak Ektra, Premier Kardon, Bell & Howell Foton, and Kodak "Original" box camera, among others.

Other models that are desirable collectors items but not necesssarily rare or especially valuable are the Kodak Bantam Special, Ansco Automatic Reflex, Argus C, Argus K, Argoflex II, Univex Mercury CC-1500. Some of these (the Ansco for example) are fine cameras but not especially rare and can he had for a modest cost, while others such as the Argoflex II are not necessarily great designs but are very scarce and may demand higher prices. There are a number of earlier (ie, 19th century and pre-WWI) American cameras that are historically significant and rare, but that gets out of my territory.......

I agree with all the suggestions above. The question is what is 'collectible value' mean to you? A collector values cameras because of their history and the fun of trying them out. But there are very few cameras that could be seen as any kind of investment. For value you would be better to put your money into a savings account.

I would love to het my hands on the late 20's bakelite QRS Kamra.

http://www.geocities.com/mbarel.geo/qrs.html

Don't forget Vidax and the original Omega 120 (created the 2 1/4 X 2 3/4 later called the "Ideal Format". Linhof calimed invention of this format several years after the Omega camera was sold and out of business.

Collectables are important for personal reasons, and for rarity.

Lynn

Whether an american brand camera is collectible and has value really depends collector interest. There are a lot of cameras that have some level of collector interest, but some more than others. For example Kodak Retina cameras enjoy a steady following. But one could buy Kodak disc cameras by the boxfull on Ebay.

It would be easier to provide a meaningful response to a question about certain models that have caught your eye.

"Some people even collect Instamatics."

A few years ago I never would've believed that statement, mainly because I didn't know Instamatics beyond my X-15 Instamatic. Once I began to learn more about them I discovered that there's a whole world of Instamatics, some of which are very desirable like the compact and beautiful '500' or the Instamatic Reflex, not to mention the other SLRs made to use 126 cartidges. So most of the collectible cameras have 'collectible value' but it's hard to say if that collectible value translates to monetary value. Unfortunately, just about every camera that I don't have seems to have collectible value to me...

• 3 weeks later...

Since I mentioned the Vidax, one of the truly great designs, it is thought that only one hundred sets of parts were manufactured and depending on whose faulty memory is being quoted, somewhere between 50 and 85 cameras were ever assembled. Mc Keown says they are worth $600 to $900 depending on condition. The rangefinder could be set up for 75mm to 127mm. There were Wollensak Raptars (fine quality tessar type) awith Rapax shutters, as well as Ektars and Tessars, all with Rapax shutters.

My guess is that with a fine condition camera and lens (especially the Ektar) would go over $1,000, with two or more focal lengths the price would be anybody's guess. Accessories would include sheet film and film pack backs in addition to 120/620 roll films for which the camera was designed.

The original price with probably a 101mm to 105mm had a list price in 1948 of $237.50 (and until the mid 1050's, all photo equipment was sold for list price with a dealer price of less 25% for single units and less 33% for 3 or more pieces).

Lynn