D2Hs for digital, and lenses including 20mm f2.8, 28mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 20-

35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8, 80-200mm f2.8, 300mm f4, etc. In general, they are

all good, and rarely let you down. However, with situation being changed, I am

currently looking for a zoom lens ranging from wide angle to mid tele for my

travel. I studied Nikkor 24-120mm f3.5-5.6 G lens. The comments from outside

are mixed. Then I looked what Canon has - a nice Canon Zoom Wide Angle-

Telephoto EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens. One of features that appeals

is its Fixed Aperture. However, I would like to keep all my equipment in one

uniform. Any suggestions or comments for my dilemma? Thanks.

What body are you looking to use this lens on? If you're using a film body, I'd recommend that 24-105 VR G lens. Image criticisms aside (which, in all honestly, is not that noticeable unless you regularly print larger than 8x12), the lens will will perform and not let you down for your described requirements. If you will be using this lens on a digital body, I'd recommend either the 16 - 85 VR or the 18-200 VR (or if you can find it used, the 18-70). Like the 24-105 VR, people have their criticisms of those lenses, but for all intents and purposes, those lenses excel at what they were meant for (which is, an all-around walk around lens for people who care more about image emotional impact than sharpness and test shots of brick walls).

Cammeron gave a perfect answer.

Since the 16/85 was not made a year ago, I settled on a 18/70 and 55/200. 18/70 is made pretty well. 55/200 Vr is plastic, so it is not as robust as better lenses, so I am careful with it.

I have also gotten some primes and the consmer zooms hold up well to them.

Zooms can have some weird distortion of straight lines and so do Nikkor wide primes, but those are limited to simple curves that are more easily corrected. PtLens will repair the zooms if you use a windows pc, Lens Fix if you use a Mac. Both are photoshop plug-ins.

I would avoid third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma.

Cam, thank you for your quick response. The zoom lens that I am looking for is primarily for F100 at this moment. I plan to extend its usage for D3, or D3X or D4 if I decide to buy upon receiving additioal fund from tax return. I am not intersted in DX lenses because full format digital photography is the trend of future by my opinion.

Then most definitely the 24-120 VR, as this can be used on full frame cameras. Other lenses that would work, such as the 28-50 f2.8 af-s are great, but they're just too big and heavy to lug around casually. Though I have to admit, if you can find it used (no longer in production), the 24-85 af-s is another good choice for full frame cameras. It's roughly the same size at the 18-70, and shares the excellent glass as that lens.

i use the 24-120 on a D300 and it is a workhorse lens. it is so very versatile, so you can get a lot of use out of it.

i'm not so sure that DX lenses are bound for obsolescence, however. think how many DX lenses nikon has released -- just lately. sure, nikon will market to a segment of the market that needs a $5000 camera, but i don't think they are giving up the DX marketplace anytime soon.

regardless of that, however, you should go with your instincts.

Nikkor 24-85 f/2.8-4 is pretty decent. I have one and used it to shoot weddings on crop cameras and in the studio and some film with it too. I know others that use it on their D3s to keep the weight down.

If you set the aperture to f/4 it's a constant aperture lens (no kidding). It also has a reasonable macro setting that goes down to 1:2. Optical performance is good with some asperical elements in there. AF speed is OK but it's not an AF-S lens. On the other hand since it's a D lens it has an aperture ring and will work all the older cameras as well.

Review at photozone here:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/46-nikon--nikkor-aps-c/237-nikkor-af-24-85mm-f28-4-d-if-review--test-report

Peter

You're looking at eventually putting a consumer grade lens on a pro-grade camera. Sorry,

that makes little sense to me. If you're going to go digital, and you can afford a D3 but not

pro-grade lenses, I'd get a D300 and pro-grade DX and FX lenses.

I'd be happier with a D300 along with a 17-55 and maybe a 12-24 (along with the 80-200

you have now) than with a D3 and a 24-120 VR (not a highly regarded lens in many circles,

btw) or one of many consumer grade zooms.

• 3 weeks later...

My recommendation: 18-200VR. I have tested the 16-85 and not found it any better than the 18-200VR, it is only a little smaller and it is very slow for the price. Along with a 50mm F1.8 and a flash you have the perfect travel kit. I wish it were a little wider.

I also own the 24-105L on a Canon 5D. This is my favorite lens/camera combination but the main differences are only apparent at F4 and better contrast than the 18-200VR.

I owned and really liked the 24-120 VR. It's an excellent value, a bit better made and a bit better optically than the 18-70 DX, with more reach and the VR works very well. Only reason I sold mine was to pay for truck repairs!

If I was in the market for another lightweight walk-around type zoom, I'd have to go to a local shop and try out the 18-200 VR. My only concern would be the reports of zoom creeping. But as an all-purpose kit, especially for casual travel photography, something like a 24-120 VR on a D300 would make a great combo.