HELP!! Processing 500Tungsten as 50Daylight : (

Hi, I'm a student and taking my first 16mm narrative filmmaking course and feel like an idiot right now.

I had a question, not sure if this is the right place to ask. I recently went to drop off film at the lab, before

that I was just at kodak ordering 50D film. So when I went to the lab I was confused, still thinking about

50D, I absentmindedly wrote the incorrect filmstock, in the forms I wrote down 7201 Daylight 50

filmstock when it was really Vision 2 Expression 500T. Not sure what my options are, I called the lab and

they've already processed it. Let me know what are the consequences of this kind of mistake--what will

the footage look like because of this mistake overexposed or underexposed?

What did the lab say about how it came out? I used to work with 16mm a lot as a film student at NYU almost 20 years ago. My recollection is that motion picture processing of color film is similar to E-6 and C-41 in that the film speed is determined by the emulsion, not by the development time. So 50D and 500T may very well get processed together anyhow. Tungsten vs Daylight definitely is not a factor in development. The only problem here would be if one of the flim types your'e referring to is negative and the other is reversal and it got put into the wrong chemistry in that respect. (Vision stock I thinnk is negative but I don't recall what 7201 is.) Even if you put down the wrong thing on the forms, aren't the film cans marked, at least on the tape that seals them shut? And I think Kodak used to perforate the film type code into the leader of each roll, which also would have tipped off the lab to what they had. My guess is that they probably processed it properly and as long as you had the right film speed set in your meter when you exposed the film, you're probably OK. BTW, you are on completely the wrong forum -- this forum is about still photography, not movies. But glad to hear from you anyhow.

If you exposed 500 speed film at EI 50 it is 3 1/3 stops over exposed. If this were consumer negative film this would be no problem. Motion picture stock has less lattitude, but it will still produce recognizable images. The negatives will be very dark and will require special printing. There will also be a hefty color shift since you exposed tungsten film in daylight. This also is, to some extent, correctable in printing.

Good luck.

As John notes, if you shot it as rated and simply made a mistake in what you wrote on the

can, you will be fine. All motion picture negative is processed for the same length of time in

the same development bath regardless of its speed or color balance.

A good place to talk about cinematography and motion picture film is at

www.cinematography.com. Many of the issues that you deal with in cinematography don't

get dealt with at photo.net (and vice versa), so I find it useful to visit both.

Winnie Wan, Apr 15, 2008; 11:29 a.m.

Hi, I'm a student and taking my first 16mm narrative filmmaking course and feel like an idiot right now.

I just want to shake your hand. I think its great that in 2008 you are shooting on FILM. My university told me they had a 16mm telecine, but didn't know where it was. They do everyhing digital or "tape" now.

YAY for film....