How to cut down on lens?

hinman

I have managed not to purchase any new lens in the month of March but today I

found myself lurking in ebay for other types of Kiron lens, I always gets

interesed with wide angle prime, wide angle zoom, new lens and limited and star

lens that people praise about.

In short, I am full blown with LBA looking for quality but inexpensive lens.

The sad truth I learn is that I have way more than I need. I have spent $450 on

one trasaction over 3 lens that I bought like 5 months ago and I have not even

found the time to make a single shot of the three -- Pentax A 50 f/2.8 Macro

1:2, Pentax M 100mm f/4.0 Macro 1:2, Rare Pentax 45-125mm f/4.0. I could have

spent the money on a 21mm/43mm/70mm limited. But I am sure when I find the time

to shoot with any of the unused lens, I would have a harder time to sell as I

got these from a professional photographer who have wonderful macro and portrait

pictures with the three Pentax lens. Around the same time with impulse

purchase, I also bought a Pentax SuperTakumar 105mm f/2.8 in M42 with 1:4 macro

and a Pentax M 200mm f/4.0. I have a total of 7 lens in my drawer that has not

even have a single shot of pictures with my camera -- they are truly my

skeletons in my closet. The other two not listed are Pentax M 28 f/2.8 and

Sears 135mm f/2.8 (planned to donate to another forum's monthly photo contest).

How do I find out lens of little use and discipline myself to just sell it to

others? I know many members are very disciplined to keep the numbers of lens

down to a few and I witness other members successfully pair down on lens in

selling those not used. I started planning to sell my unused gear and that

includes DA 18-55 and DA 50-200 but I find it extremely hard as I love the combo

when I started with dSLR and I still find the DA 50-200 very versatile, compact

and lightweight for my shooting style.

Please share your grief and success stories in trimming down your gear. One

obstacle is on spending the time to sell the gear. My experience has shown a

much easier time to buy than to sell one's gear both in terms of psychology and

the mind set of parting with gear that I like before. Your thoughts and advice

very welcome and needed.

I used to hang onto unused gear, but no longer. If it does not have sentimental value (I inherited it - I have several barely-get-used cameras that fall into that category), and i don't use it, then it gets sold. My view is that it's better to have cash in hand, free shelf space, and the gear in the hands of someone who will actually use it (or hoard it) than to have it just sitting around. <p>As for the time it takes for the selling, yeah, it's a pain, especially for low/lower valued items, but just set aside some time one weekend to take pix of it all, write up ACCURATE descriptions and put it on ebay.

Ugh, I need to sell off some too..

Sell List

Pentax DA 50-200 f4-5.6

Sigma 100-300 DL f5-6.3

Vivitar 70-150 f3.8

Pentax SMC-M 50 f1.7

Pentax SMC-M 50 f2

CPC 28 f2.8

Vivitar 2x AT-22 tele

All have to go. Possibly even the DA 16-45 depending on what I buy..

Buy List

Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8

Pentax DA* 300 f4

Tamron-F 1.4x

And anything else I see..

It never ends..

Tom, getting rid of your 70-150mm I see. I thought you were a bit in love with that lens.

Hin Man, I'll tell you what I have done: I sat down with some pen and paper and wrote down a personal lens roadmap. I thought about what focal lengths I use most, and what type of shooting each focal length I like is used for (out or indoor, sports, etc.). Taking all my needs into account I made my roadmap listing the focal lengths and apertures I wanted for primes and zooms. Then I ordered them according to need, the most urgent at the top. Finally, I went online and checked what lenses were available that covered my needs; as I'm on a budget, I looked at 3rd party lenses also, because in most cases I cannot afford the Pentax lens that fits the requirements. I then listed the options for each focal length together with their prices.

Now that I have my personal lens roadmap I find looking on eBay is no longer an issue. I will see lenses that look interesting, but I think "is it on my roadmap?", if it isn't, and I buy it, then it's simply going to delay the purchase of the lenses that *are* on my roadmap, and those are the really important ones for me.

Each month I will put away some money in my Lens Fund, and when I have enough to buy the first lens on the roadmap, I will do it. Then the Lens Fund will start again from zero until I have enough to buy the second lens, and so on. I expect to have all the lenses on my roadmap in 2-3 years. In the meantime, I'll do the best I can with what I have, and I will certainly be getting rid of some unused stuff I have lying around and putting the proceeds in my Lens Fund.

Thanks for all the thoughtful tips.

@Jonathan, I actually found out that mine is a Pentax K 100mm f/4.0 Macro 1:2 instead of M. I don't know if there are differences but people tend to praise more on the K version lens than those designated as M lenses. I paid $175 for the lens. Once I made up my mind what to sell, I will broadcast in a post for LBA graduation or foreclosure as a major milestone in my books.

@Javier, I feel a lot better!!! It is no longer funny, once I find myself with the problem, I love to talk to people about my problems.

@Tom, I hope the buying habits can slow down and eventually stop for me and I feel a bit out of control in wanting and trying out a better lens

Hin, think of the practical aspect of what is useful to you. Sure it is fun to play around and see what various lenses can do. But think which ones are most efficient getting the shots you want at the higher quality levels, when there are 2 at the same focal length. Good to keep a macro- that has its own unique use. Your inexpensive kit lenses, 18-55, and 50-200mm, which are AF, small for carrying and working with the built-in flash, may be very worth keeping. Your cheap Tokina short faster zoom with its extra quality, 19-35mm, because it's also good for film too. If you have a good AF wide angle prime, and AF longer zoom also good for film, those too.

Beyond that, maybe get rid of other lenses and save up for 21mm, 43mm, 77mm Limited trio, excellent on smaller bodies, and two are good for film too!! Get one at a time, perhaps start with FA 43mm, being an endangered species. You will be happy in all ways with those lenses. Sometimes I just take some Limited only, or some Limited and a zoom. Maybe you will eventually need a fast f/2.8 lens, if you need the speed. I have had the Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 for years, for my fast zoom needs, so I passed up the DA* 16-50mm.

Warning: This suggestion is only half serious.... ;-)

Lens Score = Number of keepers shot with lens / Length of time owned

Work out this score for each lens, and toss the ones with the lowest rating. Keep no more than 10.

Hmmm. Better run outside and start shooting with your 7 most recent purchases because they are currently worth zero on this rating scale!

Does your constant acquisition have to be defined as a *problem*, Hin?

Are you spending the rent money or the kids' college fund on lenses? If so, yeah, you need to get help, the same as if you were a drug addict or compulsive gambler. Otherwise, relax and enjoy what is clearly a very rewarding dimension of your interest in photography--there's really nothing wrong with being a lens collector (except you may drive up prices for the rest of us ;>)

In the spirit of disclosure, I should say I'm not a completely disinterested advisor: like others here, I'm sure, I've found your lens commentary interesting and enlightening.

Hi Hin --

Always good to hear from you.

Some people like collecting lenses and playing with cameras and tinkering with the mechanisms involved in the act of photography. You may well be one of them. If so, good for you and don't stop.

But if your principal interest regarding photography is creating beautiful images, then the answer is simple: Stop buying all these redundant & essentially useless (for you) lenses, and stop distracting yourself from the real task. We all know that the most difficult thing in photography is to create beautiful images. And most of us fail to do this most of the time. So, in order to escape the seeming impossibility of that act, and to avoid confronting our daily failures in that regard, many of us turn to easier tasks, such as collecting lenses or playing with lots & lots of cameras.

Just about anyone with a bit of money & an internet connection can collect lenses -- no artistic skill, talent or dedication is required. Similarly, even those not at all artistically capable can rap about technical details like noise, purple fringing, frames per second etc.

Again, I don't mean to judge -- everyone's different, and if gadgetry or collecting is your thing, more power to you. But if you are at all like me, you are likely using lens collecting or gadget fetishism as an easy diversion from the true task, that seemingly impossible-to-reach goal of capturing a once-in-a-lifetime image (which can of course be gotten with just about any ol' lens).

I still have way too many lenses. And I still divert myself from the true task by perusing silly forums like the ones on dpreview. But I try not to ... I really do ....

My 2 cents.

Hin, If you do weed down - remember me for the 45-125mm f4. :) I'm calling first dibs. :D

I don't think we're supposed to fight a lens addiction - it's part of who we are, and why we're all so gosh-darn lovable. It's like cutting off the tip of your nose and ears becuase someone whispered behind your back that you looked funny.

Seriously - you cut anything off - you'll really look a lot more than funny! ...

So I say - there's no problem in wanting to have good equipment - and if you have to buy a bunch of lenses to find what you like best - then do it. If you don't like what you have, then by all means sell it - but dont downgrade your sh*t until you've at least tried them.

Hin, you've got nice nose and ears - and we love you just the way you are.

... still - remember me if you decide you don't want that lens... ;)

I have slowed somewhat but am not ready to stop. At some point I'll cut down on redundancies but not yet. It is true that if you add up all the moderately-priced lenses perhaps I could have gotten an FA31 or DA* lens, but I'm still enjoying playing with "history", hoping to find an somewhat unlikely jewel that works for me.

Although I acquired many of my cameras and lenses over a period of years, I confess during the past 18 months I bought more equipment than during the previous 8 years or more! Most were new, and with considerable savings under the rebate programs. The rebates really drew me in! I also am attacted when I see compact lens, but with excellent quality. I bought a few film cameras and lenses off ebay during this time. One was a new-I.B. FA 300mm f/4.5 (a good move), then two new-I.B. Pentax power zooms for very cheap (because I have bodies with power zoom function), and there was the Pentax F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5, because it is extremely small, and faster than average. Hardly larger than a 50mm prime! I got it very reasonable, and it is rated very high optically. I figured, it is fine for all around use on a compact film body, and likewise for a compact digital body, to complement my 21mm Limited for general use. You can see why I drag my feet concerning a wide/long digital zoom lens.

Now I have slowed way down. Maybe a couple more to go later this year or next, and that will be more than enough!! Adding the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 should complete my fast zoom needs. I still have no true wide-to-long for digital. Sometimes I could use a wide/long in one zoom lens for digital.

I see many lenses that look to be very good, and interesting, especially on ebay, but I know I already have excellent ones that can perform as well. I actually did get rid of some good old MF lenses I used for years. A CP MC 28mm with 1:4 macro, a CP MC 70-162mm f/3.5, and a nice, well-built Tokina ATX 35-200mm f/3.5-4.5. My only MF lenses now are my Pentax M 50mmf/1.4- my first Pentax lens from 1982 and I like the build and MF feel, the tiny M 40mm f/2.8 and the M 135mmf/3.5, both bought used about 10 years ago.

I now have a considerable lens collection. I have smaller moderate zooms, some in duplicate range but having certain attributes, a fast pro style zoom and will add a seconnd one to complete the focal range. There is enough overlap so I have the luxury of saying- I think I'd like to shoot with the nice little Pentax FA 28-70mm f/4 today, because I won't really need the longer FA 28-105mm. I have a large collection of fine primes, including a set of 3 Limiteds and two backup Limiteds.

Aside from liking some for the way they handle, or size convenience, I try to have some practical usage considerations behind my collection. The advantages for a set of faster lenses is real when you need those advantages.

After the acquisitions I am considering, I do not see anything else I could actually need in lenses- unless I get into something like a crazy bird hobby and go after the $4,200 Sigma 500mm f/4!!

Thank you guys for the comments and the time taken for the suggestions. I get encouraged to work out my trimming. It is still a scary task. I just tally up to roughly 24 lens, two will be donated and I need to sort out 1/3 to 1/2 to sell. And when I list them out in paper, all seems to have a reason or two to stay.

I appreciate all the valuable advice. But I have to thank Ashley on the simple rule that can easily stick on my mind when I open up my lens drawer.

"Lens Score = Number of keepers shot with lens / Length of time owned

Work out this score for each lens, and toss the ones with the lowest rating. Keep no more than 10. "

And special thanks to all the valuable insights such as the individual lens road map, clinic check-in, and putting focus on picture taking instead of gear hunting.

Thanks!

Hi Hin -

I'm late to the party, but realized the other day that despite my obsessive eBay searching and price-checking at various lens outlets, what I really need is more time to take pictures and to use the lenses I have. That isn't coming any time soon no matter how much I spend on gear, so might as well try to enjoy what I've got. And LBA lifted! I even sold one of my K1000s with a 50mm f2... for a fraction of what I paid a few years ago, but good to just get it off the shelf. So I now don't even check eBay. Well, maybe just a peak. But I am NOT buying anything....

Good luck!

Nick

Hy,

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. But, it has started from a different point.

I bought a lot of new lenses last year which, sincerely, I can not use at maximum becouse I do not knov them yet.

And suddently I decided to make a mountain trip, and I needed 3 backpacks to take all that I wanted to.

After two trips I striped everything down - 3 lenses - 2 flashes - one bouncer...

I would probably keep another 2 lenses for my improvised studio and the rest...

Hwo need's them?...

And each day I am thinking to buy a new lens.

Guys - THIS IS A FORM OF ADDICTION.

Probably I am lenso-coolic.

So - Have fun and make photos. Not buy lenses.