Portable Storage Devices

diffangle

Can anyone recommend a good storage device? Ideally I would like one with a

viewer but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't have one. I normally

take my laptop on trips but as it weighs 3kg it's a chunk of my 12kg baggage

allowance!

Be grateful for any advice.

thanks

I've used a Wolverine MVP unit for the past several years for travel storage, updated its firmware three times, and have had no problems. (I also carry an older Nixvue unit - two copies of files.) There are many competing units available today - Epson, Canon, Jobo, ... The MVP supports my older Canon DSLRs in being able to display RAW format files directly on its built-in LCD screen.

You'll have to do some research among the available models to get the features you might want, with models without image display being much cheaper. Many models will read/copy several types of memory cards. Check for each model's firmware update option - Wolverine recently provided a firmware upgrade to read SDHC (>2G) cards. I'm certain that most do not yet support the newer 8+G card sizes.

There is also the Digimate 11, I just got one from an ebay vendor in Israel (I'm in UK). It was far cheaper than the others mentioned (65 pounds incl post to UK) for a 120GB version. I've only been using it for a few days, but so far I'm very pleased with it, my only reservation being the appalling instructions - but it is very easy to use so that was not really a hardship.

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm using a Creative Zen Vision W 60Gb for my photo storage. I', also using it as my main media player, with all my music, and my favourite movies and TV series on it.

If you're interested, I did a small review on capability and transfer rates for another person who was looking for a portable storage device.

You can find it here http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OAGM

Hope I've been helpful.

Has anyone tried the iPod photo connector? I don't even own an iPod but it seems appealing

to have media and photos on one place while I travel. I have heard that it is slow (USB 1.1 not

2.0) and hogs the battery but I would rather hear it from someone here...

Thanks Nick! I think I'll pass on the iPod stuff for now; just too fragile. I've read more about

hyperdrive colorspace and it sounds like it doesn't quite live up to the marketing. I'm looking

at an archos and a vosonic now...