ZERO Gloss Differential with Hahnemule Spray - WOW!

Have any of you tried the Hahnemule Protective spray? I have tried many others

and this one is the best in my opinion.

I have been using it on a variety of papers and it is absolutely amazing. No

bad odor, quick to dry and best of all it completely removes ALL gloss

differential. Papers I tried it on include Epson?s Luster, Ilford Galerie

Smooth Pearl and my favorite Hahnemule Gloss Fine Art Baryta.

It may have to do with the Isopropyl alcohol base (same as most inks I

believe). Anyway a great UV inhibitor plus it makes prints more water and

scratch resistant too.

I've been using Premier Art Print Shield on Epson glossy and also luster papers. Art Shield also gets rid of all traces of gloss differential. It is easier to apply a good smooth coating to luster papers than glossy papers. It does have a strong odor however and I always wear a protective filtered mask.

Ken

If you have a printer like the R800 or R1800 that uses gloss optimizer it's also possible to run *any* paper though the printer and coat it with gloss optimizer only using a program like QTR.

That said I don't really bother enabling the gloss for semi-gloss type papers unless there is a lot of highlights that go to paper white. It does make a difference on papers like Epson Premium Glossy.

The bonuses of this route are that it's applied evenly and there's no smell or hazard. The downside is that running papers through printers multiple times can damage sensitive surfaces.

Ellis - I have not tried the Moab but I am happy with what I have now.

Diane - I have not used it on matt papers but guess you could. Matt will absorb more of it though. Cost is about $18.00 for a 400ml can (about 10 oz. I believe). It goes a long way though on the papers I use.

Kenneth - The odors of PAPS is why I no longer use it. Plus to my eye it never fully got rid of the gloss differntial.

To All - I forgot to mention that this spray leaves the original print texture intact and adds just a slight touch more sheen to the image. Plus it removes any hint of bronzing.

I just got some cans of Premier Art Shield from a well-known, smaller & trusted on-line store. They were out of the Moab spray I asked for first. I next asked for the Hahnemule product (which they had in stock), at which point the salesman said to get the Premier Art spray because all three are made by the same supplier and are identical, with the Premier Art being the cheapest by a little bit. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let y'all know how it works.

I have used the PremierArt Shield and the Hahnemule spray with excellent results on glossy, luster, fine art, and canvas surfaces. My first thought on looking at the can of Hahnemule was that it was another product just rebranded with a Hahnemule adhesive label; it is not a painted can like the PremierArt Shield.

To all - I did my resarch and the Premier Art and Hahnemuhle sprays are exactly the same according to the MSDS sheets I got from both sources. I knew that Hahnemuhle did not actually manufacture thier spray - now maybe we know who does.

Thanks to all for your input!

• 4 months later...
Forgot to follow-up. I have now used PremierArt Shield on about 100 fine art prints made on Moab Fiber Gloss, and several large panoramas made on Somerset Velvet from Legion. Couldn't be happier with the results. Tried one can of the Moab and one of Hahnemuhle. They smell identical (I use to be a bench chemist) and the results are identical. I restock now based on price, which so far has always been PremierArt Shield.

• 3 months later...
I just want to say thank you to all you good people for all the useful information. I have tried spraying my (Canon) Hahnemuhle fine art rag with a Krylon spray but have been considering moving to the Hahnemuhle spray. I had moderate success with the Krylon spray, some failures due to overspraying and getting a rather misty result. The successes are way better than glass. Does anyone know what vapours are emitted by the Hahnemuhle spray and how toxic they are?