Levelling A Super Wide-Angle

mkochsch

Apparently the level will provide lateral "side-to-side" information; however, "the top-to bottom" correction (whether the lens is pointed toward the ground or toward the sky) appears to be lacking.

IMO, a spirit bubble attached the the camera's top plate is still the answer.

I also had a round bubble level plasticene'd to the top plate beside the rewind crank (it was a tiny bit too bit and would pop off now and then). I like the suggestion of cranking myself up and down M. Darnton....maybe I should get a tripod crank installed on my right hip. ;^))

~m

Once had a linhof level badly non-level. Freaking expenive those thingies. Brought it back and bought a plastic Hama that wouldn't scratch things in my bag like the Linhof did.

The Hama levels are great - unless your flash socket is out of alignment/warped/dinged (this happens).

For M Leicas (plus flash/accessory viewfinders) the credit card is a simple and fast-working solution, and if you have it rest on top of the camera in parallel with the lens you may even assess the tilt angle...

Cheers, Pete

P.S.: Michael, in my eyes, you aimed to low on that shot...

"For top to bottom correction, I just aim the center of the finder at something exactly my camera height in the distance. No muss, no fuss. . . no spirit levels, always precisely right."

Michael D's method works every time for me. Nothing to carry and it's the only method that works without a tripod.

Most frequently, I make use of the non level distortion as an artistic tool rather than try to make it not happen.