Jacket for Photography

I am trying to find a reasonably priced lightweight jacket to use for

photography and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to

buy a jacket that has lots of pockets. I have looked at Cabelas, Gander

Mountain, REI and just cannot seem to find anything.

Most people use a fishing/travel/photo vest if they want that many pockets! Not sure if anyone makes a long sleved photo/travel vest. You might check out some travel stores.

If I remember right one of the camera bag makers (Tenba? Domke?) used to make some sort of jacket.

Domke makes one that converts to a rather long vest. You may not experience the same thing, but I find it uncomfortable to walk or move with jacket pockets (which sit pretty low) filled with things as large as lenses, camera bodies, etc. The reason many of us prefer fishing vests is that these have their pockets high, with less freedom to swing. I still don't stick large items in those pockets, though.

I have the Domke vest. It is very well made (mostly cotton), has more pockets than I can remember to use (some are water resistant), not too warm in the summer, it can carry all I need, keep everything at the ready and it is machine washable. I am pretty sure Domke makes a long sleeved jacket version of this vest.

I've had mine for over two years and use it extensively. I don't use it much in the winter because it does not layer well over my cold weather gear.

It is long and you cannot easily carry any pouches on a belt when you wear this vest. The main (front) zipper is a double zipper so you can zip it up, then open the bottom end to adjust for your comfort. There is a little strap that closes across the top of the main zipper so the vest may be worn with the zipper open.

The lower pockets to not swing around when you walk, even when loaded with a 70-200 f/2.8.

I did not like the velcro closures used on the pockets. They were too noisy and too sticky. I removed them and installed dome fasteners.

I do not like the dome fastener on the small strap that closes across the top of the main zipper. It was in a position where it would scratch the back of the camera when the camera was hanging from the neck. Domke could have covered the metal dome with a rubber cap. I covered mine with tape.

I did not like the way the large back pockets were divided. I removed the stitching to make one large pocket. Same with the "pencil" slots in the chest pockets...they were too small to hold a sharpie or a lens pen so I plucked the stitching out to convert two slots into one decent-sized slot.

The large front pockets (where I carry lenses) offer almost no protection from impact, so, you have to keep that in mind when you wear the vest.

I also have a fishing vest. It was much, much cheaper than the Domke. It can't hold the same aomunt of gear, but, I can wear a belt below it and carry pouches if required. I haven't used the fishing vest since I bought the Domke.

AquaTech makes a waterproof/breathable photo jacket (aquatech.net). I've never seen one, just saw the add in Nature Photographer magazine.

LL Bean sells a "Bush Jacket" (I think that's what they call it) for about $100. It is made of cotton and is full of pockets. Looks like it might do as a photo jacket.

If you use a vest, don't forget to carry a cheap poncho to throw-on over the vest if you get caught in heavy rain.

Cheers! Jay

Vests can be very useful (especially when doubling as a carry-on at airports) but you'll usually look like a dork, and vests/jackets will get uncomfortable in summer sun. Slightly less dorky but as useful is a waist/bum bag like those sold by Thinktank Photo and Lowepro and others -- you feel the weight less than with bags hung from your shoulders, and you generally have greater freedom of movement.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_SpdRcr.php

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_SpdFrk.php

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_SpdDmn.php

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Beltpacks,7.htm

I was looking at vests etc. In the end I pretty much gave up. Far better to use something ordinary like a normal vest/jacket for light stuff like CF cards and batteries.

The heavier stuff - lenses and flashes should already be on your cameras. This is one reason why I particularly like the Canon 17-85 IS. It has all the focal lengths I need. If I were to use a full-frame camera then I'd use the 28-135 as that contains all the lengths I really need.

I prefer to use one lens and one body, keeping the other lens and other body in a small backpack together with a second flash. Sure - it's not that convenient to have to go to the backpack when I need something but on the other hand, on my back, nobody's likely to mess with it plus it's with me if something fails and I need the other body/lens/flash.

orvis, rei, woolrich, banana republic.

I have an canvas.Orvis jacket that has about 20 pockets. Of course, who can remeber what is ineach pocket? It is not really designed by heavyweight cameras and lenses. For that you need a backpack or a case with shoulder strap.