Film Labs.

I would think, in the face of the digital takeover, that conventional film labs would be doing all they could

to facilitate more efficient transactions with their existing customer base. Were i a lab owner/manager, i

think i would be very keen to ensure that film shooters were being treated with even better, more efficient

customer service than ever before.

Unfortunately, i'm finding that not to be true, and it may be heading in the opposite direction.

Maybe it's just New York City, and its consistent rude attitude? I have to speak to three different people

before i can even reach a person who might know where my film is. And, instead of speeding up

processing/delivery times, i'm finding delays everywhere. What the hell?

I really love film. But, i hate the hassle. It used to be bearable, when it was the only option. Now, it is Just

an option, and it's becoming more of a chore to deal with.

I just got off the phone with someone who says my order is with the dispatch department, and then he

gave me a phone number for Dispatch so that i could find out when to expect delivery. Unfortunately, no

one is answering that line....

I'm just waiting for someone to develop a Film Magic Plug in for Photoshop....

So, rant over ? does anyone have a recommendation for a New York City/Manhattan film lab (color and

B+W)? Is it too much to ask that the lab be knowledgeable, friendly and efficient? I'm sure the first opinion

will be that i should soup my own stuff, and although i may do that again for B+W, i'll still need E6, C41

and xpro, plus contacts done by someone else....

I can't recommend any New York labs I'm afraid! Here in the UK there are still some great labs around though. Snappy Snaps (silly name) is a High Street franchise that has some fantastic outlets. The London ones can be a bit haphazard in my experience but some of the others are amongst the best labs I've ever used.

The Brighton one (my local) is sadly closed but Tunbridge Wells is great. I've found that a few around the country I've been to are run by really enthusiastic photographers, many of whom still shoot film themselves in addition to shooting digital. One showed me her medium format slides of Cuba on the lightbox in the shop and they were genuinely fantastic shots.

When the Brighton one was open it was the only High Street lab where I've seen them checking a machine made print from 35mm film with a loupe and rejecting it to redo it. They've even shown me a couple of different versions of the same print from my c41 b&w and asked me which I prefer so they can do the rest the same.

Lexington Labs, now known as Print Edge, 51 West 19th Street. Ask for Dino. They do a good job of working with your film and are also good at getting it scanned. I lived in NY three years and they did a lot of film-to-scan for me. I'm in LA now, and use A and I who are not as good, esp with the film devel. One man's opinion, of course.

Here in Alberta (Canada), the last lab processing E-6 and B&W just announced they are closing. Alberta has two major cities of 1 million each, plus numerous smaller centres.

I can well imagine how much the profitability of film dev/proc has decreased...but it seems to some degree that the demise of film is being artifically sped up by the fact that there are now so few labs left who handle conventional processing well.

I know that I have 3 or 4 clients who have been contemplating moving upto medium format digital who feel they have had their minds made up for them with the closing of this last lab and the hassle it will now be to get medium format chromes processed.

I agree with your general point, and have also been frustrated with the usual suspect

photo labs in the city.

I've mentioned this place a few times on this forum before, but try PIXPOINT, at 164 W.

25th Street, 9th floor, (212) 691-7600.

I'm mostly shooting B&W these days and doing my own processing and printing, so I

haven't been there in a while.

It's a small boutique operation, all they do (or all they were doing last time I was there), is

c-41 and analog c-prints. They do great work, charged me less than coloredge or duggal,

and are very friendly. They do a lot of high end fashion work, but have no attitude and

treated me very well. (I have no affiliation with the lab, just a happy customer.)

MV Photo Labs in NYC. Contact James Megargee. They do B+W film and printing. Good enough for James Nachtwey,+ Antonin Kratochvil. Located on Little West 12th st in the former meat packing district. Jim will know where to get your color film done. 212-929-3036. www.mvlabs.com. Highest quality B+W work.

MV Labs-- I agree with John-- they are the ne plus ultra for BW. You shoot a few rolls of your film so they can get a bead on the right development. But no scanning; you have to go elsewhere if that interests you. But for devel and printing-- tops.