Animal Activity Before a Storm

phil_johnson1

As we just had a rain (maybe some snow in other parts of North-East) in the north east and are preparing for another storm sometime soon I have noticed that the birds at my feeder become swarmed with birds. Usually I get a few at a time, not much more than say 10 birds. But now, they are swarming, especially ground feeders. The dark eyed Juncos, finches, white throated sparrows, blue jays, I just recently got a family (6-8) of red winged black birds, and other ground feeding birds. Sometimes I visit a neighbor who feeds the deer and he lets me shoot them (with a camera) all I want, anyway, I also noticed more of them come and they feed more before a storm happens. I figured this would happen because they are preparing for a storm. Does anyone know of other such animals that have a peculiar behavior before a storm? Do you know other animals that become less fearful of humans to try and get their food? These all might be useful to someone trying to "stalk" these animals. Anyone notice anything else?

<p>

- Phil

I have photographed big horn rams during the mating season and have found them to more approachable at that time.

<p>

Also, I have found humans to exibit similar behavior as you mention. Here in the D.C. area if more than an inch of snow is predicted there is "the world is going to end mentality" and a run on all types of food from the grocery store.

The increased number of birds at your feeder at this time of year during or before a storm likely pertains to migrating birds that have been forced to stop en route. Warm weather in the NE recently may have coaxed such birds as White-Throated and Song Sparrows north. Blackbirds such as Red-Winged and Common Grackles are also moving north. Stopping at feeders is a logical place to feed and wait it out until the winds again become favorable to their journey.

Insects seem to become more agitated as the atmospheric pressure drops before a storm; when the pressure is high on a "nice" day they move about more lazily and are easier to approach.

<p>

Fish are also more active just before a storm. It's about that time I put down the camera and pick up the fishing pole....