Please Help: Dust on the sensor...

aalok_gaitonde

Hello,

I use the 400D with the 50mm f/1.8 lens and I also have the stock lens.

Last week, I had switched to the 18-55mm for a couple of shots. There wasnt any

dust on the sensor then. I replaced the lens with the 50mm f1.8 after those

pictures were taken.

Today, I shot with the same 50mm at the airport and now that I have copied the

images to the PC, I see 3 prominent dust spots in each and every picture. I

always turn the camera off once in a while while shooting just to induce sensor

cleaning. I did the same today, but the dust spots are the same in each picture.

Though I hardly change lenses, I get dust spots each and every time I shoot

with the 400D. What may be the reason ?

And now that the dust on the sensor is not being removed by the built in sensor

cleaning, should I take it to a camera shop to get it cleaned ? Or just blow

some air into it and check ?

Cheers from India,

Aalok Gaitonde

Hi Aalok, my advise get one of those Giotto blowers set camera to sensor clean remove lens hold body rear up and use the blower carefully.Do not use a brush and do not contact the sensor.

It may work if not have the sensor cleaned. Dust is a problem so far I am lucky but I will say when changing lenses I use a loupe to check the rear for dust and hold the body opening down.

I hope this helps.

Manfred

Sensor dust is a fact of life for Digital DSL cameras. You CAN take it in for "professional cleaning", but it's just as easy to learn how to do it for yourself. You need to be careful, but it's not that hard. By the way, the dust isn't on the sensor - it's on a filter that's attached to the sensor - it's not as delicate as it looks.

Others will chip in with some good links, but in the meantime - if your in a hurry - just use the search control on the page to find you everything that you ever wanted to know on the subject.

Get a hand blower, get a brush, or get some Pec pads and any of several cleaning solutions. There are several methods for cleaning sensors that work very well. The camera's built in cleaner doesn't.

As Colin said, "sensor dust is a fact of life for digital SLR shooters." Your job is to get rid of it. It's easy, it's simple, and it's commonly done. More info here:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/sensorclean.html

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/sensor_cleaning_ii.html

Don't panic! don't despair! Get yourself a bulb from a blower brush such as the one shown here :

http://www.hiltonphoto.co.uk/products/details/3461.html

take off the brush bit as you will only be using the bulb.

Then remove the camera lens, select sensor clean from the menus and (holding the camera with the exposed sensor downwards) gently puff at the sensor with the bulb. Be careful vot to touch the sensor with the bulb or anything else. Reset the shutter to normal.

That should do it till the next time.

Good luck!

In 2 years and around 10000 shots I've only had to clean my 5D once. I do plenty of lens changes. Similar story with my 350D, only cleaned it once. I believe a good technique goes a long way. I only change lenses indoors in a draft-free room. I remove the bottom cap off the new lens and blow it out thoroughly, put it down, take the lens off the camera wih the body slung around my neck, pointing down, and fit the new lens. No worries!

What aperture setting are you shooting at when these spots become visible?

Don't bother sending it in to be professionally cleaned. As other have said you can easily and safely do it yourself. I use Eclipse fluid and pec pads or whatever they call them. 5 minutes later, job done.

I am curious to know why you choose to shoot at the monitor screen and not at a white wall or piece of paper for your dust test. I used to shoot at the sky but here in the UK clear skies are rare.

Glad you have seen able to clear the dust from your sensor. On my 20D I was for ever having to clean it. My 40D (with vibrator) has been much better although not entirely free.

I think that dust on a sensor is a mixture of bad luck and poor circumstances when changing the lens. I think that avoiding windy and dusty environments helps considerably.

Hi Aalok,

It is easy for dust to attach itself to your sensor when you take photos, even if you never change your lens - every time you focus or zoom, air moves in and out of the lens (it has to - if it was sealed, it would be a vacuum inside, and nothing could move). This air can have dust in it. Then, when you mirror moves up to take a photo, it stirs up the air, making any small pieces of dust airborn...remmeber, if you see a small speck, 2-3 pixels wide, it is 1/1500th of an inch wide...VERY small dust indeed.

I don't know why you would have such unusual difficulty with dust; maybe different kinds of dust particles behave differently. I've changed lenses hundreds if not thousands of times and have not been anywhere near as careful as David Bell about the environment at the time, and I've had very little trouble with it... only one or two occasions when it got past the camera's dustshaker.

Oh yes, dust can enter the body while focusing. I never thought about this factor. Thanks for pointing it out.

Well, its my first encounter with sensor cleaning. Hence, you may find me a bit nervous :(

I am looking forward to buying the 17-40L F/4. This lens is said to be weather proof.

Regards,

Aalok

Aalok, check out the arctic butterfly for very easy dust removal. I used to have really bad dust problems with my Tamron 24-135 and 17-35 zooms. I don't have any issues with my "L" lenses, all have UV filters on and are weather sealed.

I used to clean my 20D 2 or 3 times a month. I've cleaned it once in 18 months since I got the "L"s.

Aalok,

I shoot in Bangkok a lot & travel a lot as well. I have a 40D which has also suffered from

sensor dust, despite the integrated sensor cleaning & me taking the 'normal' precautions

(turn off before changing lenses, only change indoors if possible, keep camera facing

down if possible during changes, have lens oriented & ready for changing to minimise

sensor exposure time etc.

I understand photographers like David Bell hardly ever see dust as well.

I suspect this is something to do with the environment we live in & photograph in.

Bangkok is dusty - so more likely to cause dust on sensors than some other places.

Possibly your location in India is dusty too?