What is most appealing? Subject looking to left or to the right in photo?

achristensen

I definitely agree with Clay and Mark. Have you ever done that thing in grade school where you take a person's face and place a paper over one half? Then over the other? Sometimes you can get two completely different looks. I think also that some people have a "good" side. I know I do...

I always have my subjects slightly facing my main light. I just think the lights wraps around them better and lights up there eyes. My main light is always to their right so my subjects mostly face right. Interesting questions and answers though...

Yeah, I mean most people's faces are not that symmetrical. Most celebrities seem to have a "good side" that they prefer to be shot from, and most of them are better-looking and more symmetical than the average person.

But for a theoretical, symmetrical subject, I don't know. Facing right seems slightly more natural to me, but I suspect it's because of the Western left-to-right reading direction. I wonder what a native Arabic speaker would think.

Mark, you kinda had it right. The left-to-right reading thing. When viewing a photo, as with a layout also, we tend to start left and pan right. When someone is looking our left, their right, in a photograph, their face opens and allows the viewer to enter the image. The back of the head that is visible stops the view and sends the focus back to the face. The opposite pose isn't as inviting. Also, in the United States, we drive so that we have to turn our heads to the left alot. That builds the muscle in the right side our neck. For a softer look, have them look right (our left). Hope this helps.

Aaron

Aaron, I think you got it. Is your computer monitor positioned to your right or left of your keyboard? I don't know what straight on means about a person but mine is to my left of the keyboard. I would get a neck ache if it was on the right. Very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This question had me curious, so I went and looked at our gallery and oddly, it's pretty

evenly matched.

I think I like the subject looking to my left (their right) better though... it seems slightly

haunting and reflective a little more interesting than the pics that look to the right which

seem traditional.

• 1 month later...

I think you should choose the side according to your light and to your background.

Sometimes you can ruin a photo 'cause you didn't pay attention on these two things.

When we are learning to take photos they teach us to always put the subject facing the inside of the photo, but an image could be incredible by the fact that the subject is facing out.

The point is to always think on the moment and not on the rules, like right and left side

Bruna Marchioro

http://www.rbfotografia.com.br/index_en.htm