Marc Adamus' featured interview is worth the time!

vrankin

Marc regularly produces the best landscape images I've seen for images that conform to the style he has adopted. That is a digital extention of what Galen Rowell began in the 90s with Velvia film that ended the former Kodachrome period where there was more interest in capturing images with fidelty. Images that usually do not reflect actual experiences photographed but rather are a vision of "in one's mind's eye" during those events that was a key concept in Galen's work and today is by far the most popular status quo of nature photographers today that now use digital cameras. The considerably more advanced digital processing functions available today has moved that style on to new levels that Marc shows outstanding command over and has no doubt drawn into that style a large number of others eager to follow. That is especially true of low light conditions at dawn and dusk where DSLRs are capturing images that our eyes cannot experience yet record scenes of amazing beauty. Unlike many landscape images by pros and advanced amateurs today, Marc's images tend to keep the vision of what he produces more in the conservative realm of the believable than what I see coming out of many photographers that seem to revel in overly contrasty images with super saturation beyond even the most ideal natural phenomenon. That necessarily comes out of his considerable respect for the natural experiences and phenomenon he witnesses.

Another thing Galen did was readily get out into remote places beyond where others ventured. And Marc does that more than few others. Even into some quite harsh conditions just like Galen did. As someone that has long followed a similar approach, I will note that is quite key to bringing back the kind of images Marc has been successful at though that side of his success seems to dribble down little into the awareness of others that wish to emulate his style.

I was also a great fan of Galen and especially his masterpiece "Mountain Light" though followed a different style personally in my own landscapes, continuing to seek recording images with as much fidelity as possible given the limits of readily available film and technology. However there will be a time in the not too distant future when I will no doubt adopt a full digital workflow and certainly explore some of these other areas that Marc is now leading the main herd of we visual artists down the road to.

David Senesac

http://www.davidsenesac.com

David, nice analysis of Marc's work. His stuff really is out of this world (almost literally), but I do think he, too, tends toward over-saturated colors from time to time. (You have some nice images on your Web site as well, but I was struck by the fact that nearly all of them appear shot mid-day, almost none at dawn or dusk. Unusual for a nature photographer.)

In the last 5 or so years in his life, Gallen Rowell also had the tendency to capture way over-saturated images. I dislike some of his book from around year 2000 or so as the colors look very extreme and unnatural. I by far prefer Rowell's earlier work. (Rowell passed away during a plane crash in August, 2002.)

What I like about Marc's work is it is all done with digital. His work is as nice as a lot of the large format stuff I have seen. I agree with you all on the unnatural saturation. This day in age you need something to seperate yourself from others. If he did not have that he would be just another landscape photographer. Not that that is bad! What can you do in photography that has not already been done? And how great it must be to live in the Pacific Northwest and have all that in your back yard! The edge that Mark has on originality is the fact that the colors are so saturated. It is a little unnatural but not overdone.

All that said, I really think the saturated colors is just how the Canon product is set up. Seems like all the Canon users have that look. Tim Fitzharris and George Lepp, also Canon users, same over-saturation? Not a bad thing, that is very good company.

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com