Larry Burrows (and crushed Leica)

Bill Mitchell, Apr 02, 2008; 02:02 p.m.

It appears that we learned NOTHING from this futile war!

We learned to make synthetic rubber and no longer needed the rubber plantations that the

French were trying to keep. Now if we could learn how to make synthetic gasoline....

I have already seen some Burrows images from that link. Surely this are the "softer" ones, suitable for all publics. I can imagine the rest of the negatives. Only people that were over there or have seen their whole portfolio really knows what this war means, thought.

The picture of the crushed Leica keeps banging around in my head. Sure, I had the irreverent thought about sending it to Sherry on April 1st, but seriously I looked at that crushed tool that had been in the hands of someone who was probably dedicated, certainly courageous and definitely able to maintain a sensibility in an environment that was insane. I look at it and I thought, "this is what it takes to stop a Leica. This is what it takes to stop some photojournalists. What will stop a war?" Because, eventually, war will stop.

It also kinda looked like the soul of the camera looking back at its earthly remains. Hmmm, I need to get out and shoot more...