Comments please: 200-400mm f4 AF-S VR on D3

eajames

I own neither, but I'm considering the 200-400mm f4 VR lens for (initial) use on a D300 - it will replace

my 500mm f4 P. Because of its cost it will likely be a lifetime investment. I would appreciate any

comments from those of you who have used this lens on the D3. Input on imagine quality provided by

this combination with the TC-14E II is also appreciated.

Eric... tell us more about what kind of shooting you have in mind with this lens. There are plenty of sources to tell you how extraordinary this lens really is, so no point in repeating all that... but the more you post about your situation, the more likely you will get good info back.

The 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR works very well with both the D3 and D300. My problem with the D3 is that I lose the "crop factor" so that for wildlife and surfing, 400mm is often not quite long enough. So as Ron points out, it depends on what your subjects are.

Generally speaking, zooms do not work well with teleconverters, and the 200-400 is no exception.

Some of the surfing images in my D3 folder to accompany photo.net's D3 review were captured with the 200-400mm/f4. I have specified the exact lens used for every image in that folder:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=814383

When I shoot surfing with either the 200-400 AF-S or 500 AF-S, it is almost always wide open at f4. However, a lot of the images in my portfolios have been cropped; not many of them represent the entire original frame.

The loaner D3 I used for the review was returned to Nikon several weeks ago, so I don't have a D3 any more. Attached is another image shot with the D3 and 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR at 400mm, f4, 1/3200 sec, ISO 250, uncropped. This is, at best, a mediocre image but seems to be a good candidate for judging vignetting. I resized it to 1000 pixels across so that it'll be easier to judge; therefore it'll appear as a link.

If you ask me, I'd say I wouldn't worry about vignetting with this combo. If there is any, it'll be hard to notice in most real-life images.<div>00P3TT-42716484.thumb.jpg.e5448aeebcb879cfb962582a648436ae.jpg</div>

I hadn't looked at your portfolio for awhile, Shun. Really good stuff in there, definitely showcases the capabilities of various Nikkor teles and telezooms.

I don't see any problem with vignetting/light falloff. For the types of photography for which a fast VR zoom is intended, primarily handheld (or monopod supported) action, the viewer will judge the photo based on the subject matter and dynamics of the photo. They won't nitpick about a little corner and edge darkening.

Mr. James, I would highly recommend the combination. I shot an event today as a spectator. ASA was set to 6400 and most of my shots were taken at f/4. Vignetting does not seem to be an issue in the images but I did notice some vignetting while looking through the viewfinder.<div>00P3ge-42724084.thumb.jpg.d2338b2806ed7212f664674694df083e.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...