ALPA TC - some questions

daniel_mitschke

coming from the leica m-system and taking mostly architecture and city/landscape photographs i am

about to get myself a 6x9 mediumformat-camera.

after looking around for a few weeks i kind of got stuck on the alpa-mediumformat-system.

as i need no tilt/shift (almost exclusivley using 50mm on the leicas) especially the TC looks very

interesting to me (i also took a closer look at the FUJI GW690 but i'd like to have the format-changing-

possibility).

ok, we all know the ALPA-prices, but what would be an minimum-price to get started with the TC?

first of all i thought of buying a used horseman (or whatever) 6x9-back and the ALPA-H0-adapter.

what about the viewfinder? could i use another one as i would buy the groundglass-set anyway?

and most important - lenses: do i have to buy one of the alpa-ones or could i "just" get a used

schneider/rodenstock (anything betwenn 80-100mm)? this might sound stupid, but i am pretty new to

largeformat-lenses.

might there be any way to get a used TC? never saw one, but as far as i know it's on the market for quite

a time.

any help would be appreciated.

daniel

Hello.. Buy it new...then you have exactly what you want and with a warranty. Do not think of the resale value as you will be blown away by the image quality and the equipment quality ( yes compared to your LEICA ) Forget about used ALPA equipment...see any on EBAY?? The fact that you are even looking at the ALPA system shows everyone that you indeed have an eye for quality. Go ahead... treat yourself.. it will

never be cheaper than right now..

thanks for the answer. the problem is, i can not afford a complete new alpa-tc-set right now. so i am trying to narrow down what i really need to get started.

ok, the body, groundglass, back-adapter will be new as there is no used market for it. i think i might be able to use another viewfinder.

so the question is, can i get a used lens (e.g. a schneider super-symmar xl 80mm) and mount it to the alpa with the help of an adapter or something similar? i saw alpa using standard large-format lenses mounted on the alpa-specific panel. can this be done by myself?

except one, i bought all my leica-lenses in used-condition and the are all excellent. so why not doing this here?

Daniel, if budget is a problem then shooting a 50 mm lens on 6x9 is a fantasy. You might, however, be able to buy a used Mamiya Press and a 50/6.3 Mamiya to fit it.

FWIW, I understand the attraction of Alpas. They're beautiful. But I'm not sure that I'd shoot better with one than I do with my humble Century Graphic. Of course, I have good lenses for my Century: 38/4.5 Biogon, 47/5.6 Super Angulon, 65/8 Ilex (very similar to the 65/8 SA), ... If budget is a severe constraint, consider buying a camera that will do what an Alpa will even though it won't feel as good in the hand.

actually the mamyia press was the first one i took a closer look at (besides the fuji gw690) and that is definitely my plan B. but as far as i could find out it isn't that easy to find one.

besides that i think you misunterstood me. i don't wanna shot 50mm on 6x9. i wanna shoot 50mm compared to small format, so it would be about 100mm on 6x9.

i think i will do some more research on the mamiya press, maybe on some 6x9 view-cameras (like the arca swiss 6x9 - i know, i am back on the top of the line :) ) as well.

Um, Daniel, the 100/2.8 Mamiya for the Press system is said to be superb, is certainly hard to find. I don't know where you are, but Mamiya Press bodies, lenses, and roll holders aren't that uncommon on eBay.com.

My humble Century Graphic with its modest little 101/4.5 Ektar would be hard to beat. But and however, my slightly less humble 2x3 Speed with its not so modest 4"/2.0 TTH beats it. I haven't shot the TTH against a 100/2.8 Planar or Xenotar, though.

More seriously, there are many perfectly adequate (and better) normal lenses for nominal 6x9. A folding press camera (Graphics aren't the only ones) is a good and inexpensive way to take advantage of what those lenses can do.

By the way, I hope you plan to shoot whatever you get on tripod. Shooting hand-held guarantees poor image quality.

yes i know. tripod is a must. always using one with the leicas when doing architecture. so i am pretty much used to it.

i'm living in germany and haven't seen that many mamiya press cameras on ebay. but i think i just have to wait a little. would go for the universal and a 100mm.

took a look at the folding cameras as well a few days ago. but i just don't like them. any other 6x9 alternatives?

Daniel

Here is my advice, coming from someone who owns an Alpa SWA and both 6x9 Fuji's.

Get the 90 mm fuji camera the GWII. It has a GREAT lens, it is very fast (3.5) is optimized

for the format (hence the fast aperture, unlike the 5.6 f-stop you are going to settle with

for the Alpa, and can shoot sharply at near wide open, unlike the large format lenses on

the Alpa which should be shot a f8 or so. The focal length is nearly perfect, the equivalent

of a 42 mm on 35mm.

In addition, if you want to shoot close, you have the rangefinder focus that beats the hell

out of estimating the distance.

I don't think you are going to walk away with a TC for less than 5 thousand dollars

(remember: add the frame, the lens, the back and the finder). You could get a fuji for

around 1000. Note that the negative size on a fuji is significantly larger than a 6x7

camera. Do not by an old Omega or something. Just make sure that you get a excellent

condition recent model camera.

An alpa as a start is not the way to go. You will feel very bad if you turn out to not use it

as much as you imagine and lose a lot of money. The Fuji is a wonderful sharp dumb

camera. The only other one I would recommend is the Mamiya 6x7 rangefinder for the

wide lenses and built in meter: but remember, much more film real estate with the fuji and

I for one prefer the proportions of 1/1.5 for landscape work. The gsw wide fuji lens is

good, but not stellar.

The fuji's are not glamorous. But they deliver in spades. The TC would give a sharper

image if properly used, no doubt. I have the swa mostly for the shift and the wide angle

sharpness- and I bought it used from a NYC camera shop. I can shoot architecture

handheld with good light.

Again, do not get the Alpa with your level of experience. You must buy their lenses

mounted into their boards. It is way expensive: you can buy two fuji's for the LESS than

the price of one Alpa lens.