Zeiss lenses on Canon EOS?

yog_sothoth

I don't miss them. I suspect sales would be extremely low and not warrant production.

Besides, aren't they merely made in Japan under license from Zeiss? I'm sure if Zeiss desired

to do so, they could pull a Sigma and reverse engineer the lens ROM code. No need for

Canon's blessing.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

You could always get a magic marker and write "Zeiss" on something else.

There's no magic to Zeiss lenses. They probably make them for Sony because Sony are stuggling along with the old Minolta lenses and could maybe use some help.

Back in 2006 Zeiss commented that there were some patent issues related to making lenses in an EOS mount, but since Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and a few others have been doing it for 20 years and Canon haven't sued them yet, the patent excuse sounds like BS to me.

The "Zeiss Lenses" I've seen are on the little Sony point-and-shoot cameras. They are tiny and aren't detachable. Does Ziess really make these lenses, or did they just sell their name? In any case, I'm guessing that they might not be appropriate for an SLR camera.

Any week you can pay 1/2 of B&H new on minty Nikon Mount Zeiss on ebay and for $10 more simply adapt it to eos bodies. Now that I finially bought a pair of f2.8L Eos made lenses I have to say insanely fast autofocus function is a Big Plus. This big plus is one you do not get with manual focus zeiss as a 3rd party manufacturer in any other mounts since they make no 3rd party glass with autofocus function that I know of other than Sony/Minolta AF.

Lindy

You get no more function from a mechanical EOS mount Zeiss lens verse one via a Nikon to EOS adpter Zeiss (ZF) lens. At lease the one with the adapter actually get a focus chip option. Zeiss lens are available in ZF (Nikon), ZK (Pentax K-mount) and ZS (M42) mount. That cover Nikon, Canon (via Nikon Adapter), Olympus (via M42 or Nikon adapter), Sony (via M42 adapter) and Penatx K-mount.

"You could always get a magic marker and write "Zeiss" on something "else.""

The people at Ebay told me to stop doing that, actually :-)

The Zeiss C/Y 28mm 2.8, the 85 1.4, and the 50mm 1.4 are amazing lenses, and I would love to see them for the Canon without the whole stop-down metering thing. The photozone results for the 50mm ZF and the 85mm ZA are on par or better than the equivalent Canon L lenses, and I like the colors on the vintage 50mm.

Why you can get a cell phone with a Zeiss lens but I need to get the adapters from Hong Kong to put them on a Canon camera is beyond me.

If Sony manages to make a small full frame 20+ megapixel camera in a few years and they get the full stable of Zeiss primes that will be tempting. I don't feel like switching systems, so I hope they come out with some EOS mount lenses.

The real Zeiss Jena lenses, not those Capitalist copies der von Westen kommt, are available in Exakta and Contax S (M42) mounts and will work beautifully with the appropriate adapters on modern EOS cameras. Use them and enjoy your genuine Zeiss lenses.

(Of course, I'm joking, but only a little. The old "aus Jena" lenses are often very good indeed, especially the Biotar)

Here's an example of an Exakta Biotar on a 20D with a picture taken with it.

"Back in 2006 Zeiss commented that there were some patent issues related to making lenses in an EOS mount, but since Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and a few others have been doing it for 20 years and Canon haven't sued them yet, the patent excuse sounds like BS to me"

...who cares? Just maybe Zeiss just do not want to make EOS lenses..why should they? The Carl Zeiss company has been making very nice profits thank you, for many years, unlike their seemingly terminaly in trouble Leica mates.

The camera lens making division of Zeiss is just one small part of the Zeiss business and PN users seem to be oblivious to this fact. They do not need it at all, so just do as they want...

I used Zeiss glass on my Contax film cameras for over 25 years.I used the 35mm 50mm and 85mm f1.4's on the 35mm and 55mm, 80mm and 140mm on the 645.

Superb lenses, fabulous bokeh, exquisite colour inceredible sharpness, perfect contrast, damn, I've run out of superlatives....

If you don't see the difference in these lenses then you probably have never used them. If you HAVE used them and see no difference then why bother telling us so?

You CAN see the difference between these and other manufacturers lenses, even down to 8"x6" prints!

I now use Canon digital, and have yet to see a Canon lens that impresses me, and yes I HAVE seen the L series.

Why Zeiss don't make them, I don't know, and may I suggest that you lot don't either. If they DO start making them, I'll buy them, no arguement, no hesitation.

If they don't start making them, I'll just have to hope that Sony sorts out its lack of ability to keep up with other manufacurers output from their chips, then I'll dump the Canons and MOVE UP :P

An interesting link showing which lens systems will fit on which bodies:

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-eos-and-manual-focus-lenses-t3361,highlight,register+table.html

The Olympus 4/3 bodies have the largest selection of other lenses that will achieve infinity focus, followed by Canon, etc. with Nikon and Fuji bringing up the rear and being the least flexible in this respect.

PS - don't dump the 5D yet.