Secret Service Orders Man to Delete Photos at Nationals Game

<i>The article says they "asked" not "demanded", and goes on to make the point that "ask" is the operative word.</i><P>Actually if you read the article carefully, you would have seen this line: "<I>Butler said the officer demanded he delete any pictures that showed the security checkpoints set up to screen fans for the visit by President George Bush.</i>"

I found it interesting to read the response from the Secret Service spokesman who said " (agents) have the authority to ask .. (not to photograph)" ... that such is the "discretion" .. of the (agent)

That statement speaks volumes about civil liberty. Clearly, the photographer was not in violation of any US law by taking pictures of the checkpoint ..

Police have lots of authority to "request" .. and much limited authority to demand.. not unlike a policeman asking for consent to search .. if consent is asked is not the same as "forced compliance" under penalty of arrest.

In this situation the spokesman was giving only tacit approaval of the discretion used by the Secret Service agent ... of course, all of this does not mean they can't ruin your fun .. and needlessly detain you and make inquires about you .. and put you on the "list" of people to be watched. Only you can decide if the effort is worth the trouble.

Sounds like the Secret Service needs to have a better policy of dealing with such situations. I don't believe any agent of our government is so simple-minded to believe that the "bad guys" resort to such tactics as collecting intelligence information by posing as a someone standing out in public and taking a photograph. Of course, there are some fairly stupid "bad guys" out there! The bad guys get their intell information and photography usually by much more covert ways.

Another point to mention is that the Secret Service is perhaps the more assertive of law enforcement professionals .. if you'd have seriously posed a threat .. you'd be ordered to delete your photos/surrender your camera from the prone position on the pavement with a gun pointed at you! Obviously, such was not the case.

All the secret service needs is "stealth" checkpoints. We, the USA, can hide an entire jet bomber from radar, so making a "non-visible" phone booth should be a snap. [Almost like spending $$$$$s to research how much water could be on Mars, the planet.]

Interesting, but it also makes me wonder if something had happened about that same time

and place, what would be the first thing the law enforcement agencies, including the Secret

Service, want of the event and scene? Images. And if they knew this photographer had some,

they would be asking for copies instead of asking to delete them at the time. When will they

realize trying to restrict photography is shooting yourself in the proverbial foot. When will

they realize freedom (to photograph) is more enpowering for both them and citizens?

Whether you like Bush or whoever is elected this coming election I don't see changes coming in homeland security. There will be alot of posturing saying they did make changes and gave back our rights! Bottom line even before Bush the Secret Service still operated with act now and let the lawyers take care of the fall out. Pretty much how a military operates and this is why our military does not have the right to police the citizens of the US

• 2 weeks later...
I know that this could probibly get the guy in a lot of trouble if the photos got out, but couldn't the photographer just do a recovery of the memory card and get all the photos that he deleted? I find it funny that people think that once you delete a photo from your camera/memory card that they think it is gone forever. Anyone have input on this?