1 day of shooting in NY...where to go

<< ... <i>i love food. this short trip could prove problematic. :) ... </i>>> <P>

You'll leave NY with many feelings/sensations. But assuming you've got a couple bucks in your pocket, hunger will not be among them.<p>

Seriously, though, no way to expand your trip ? Of course you can maximize the time by doing what many New Yorkers do: not sleeping.

If you are at Broadway and 77th, there is plenty to see and do out your front door.

As for food, the Grom Gelato Bar is one block south of you. Run by a couple of guys from Italy, it is gelato heaven.

Zabar's, a New York institution, is three blocks north. Check out the cheese counter.

Barney Greengrass, also an institution, is 9 blocks north and one block east on Amsterdam. It's a deli, but not as they are normally thought of. Try the salmon and eggs.

Just walk around, you'll find lots to do and lots to see.

Also, any restaurant in New York of the "change my life" variety requires reservations three months in advance and will cost, all in, about $500 per person and up. In any event, the restaurants in New York aren't any better than what you have in Toronto.

If you do walk down Broadway, and you find, around about 47th Street, that you're in the mood for a good bakery, take a right and walk three and a half blocks to the Sullivan Street Bakery in Hell's Kitchen. It's at 533 W. 47th, at 10th Avenue. Good bakery.

Matt,

<br><br>

For your steak dinner, go to Peter Luger's in Williamsburg (first stop in Brooklyn over the

Williamsburg Bridge).<br>

Cash only, no credit cards here. The waiters will argue with you if you try to order

anything other than steak ("You want steak for one, steak for two...?" is the standard

ordering

dialog).

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp...Tom M

"The waiters will argue with you if you try to order anything other than steak"

You must not go there often. I periodically pop down for a hamburger, which the Bruni article mentions as well. And you don't need a (long held) reservation for lunch.